Student version of Photoshop CS3?

kygirl79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into purchasing the student version as I'm a student. I am wondering if there is a difference between this and the regular CS3? Also where is a reputable place I could purchase this?

Thanks.

There is no 'Student version of Photoshop CS3'... there is just the regular CS3 with student discount. ;)
I would firstly talk to your college or Uni to see if they have any ordering connections or conditions, they may tell you where you can order it, if not then it should be easy enough to find a reputable PS dealer which adobe recommend.

I would check with your school too. When I was in school they gave us some ridiculous discount, it only cost us like $300 or so, which is 50%+ off.

Yup, in Canada, the student price is 50% or retail.

However, that is NOT the cheapest way to get CS3. The upgrade is (was?) $199US. I found a damaged ORIGINAL vesion of CS2 at a garage sale, picked it up for $5. My legal version of CS3 cost me $204US.

Student price is 300 for cs3 but i believe they dont come with a manual. Im not positive on that though.

I am about to order lightroom for 99 student price :D

Will the upgrade work if you don't have PS in the first place?

And why doesn't it come with a manual? Are they expecting the student to be taking the PS class?

I'm looking into purchasing the student version as I'm a student. I am wondering if there is a difference between this and the regular CS3? Also where is a reputable place I could purchase this?

Thanks.

My brother went to his university book store and purchased it there for 1/2 price.

Will the upgrade work if you don't have PS in the first place?

And why doesn't it come with a manual? Are they expecting the student to be taking the PS class?

No, you can't use an upgrade for first install. You have to have a least a full license number to use to install an upgrade.

The full version (download) I bought from Adobe's website didn't come with a manual either.

That is crazy why wouldn't they give you a manual?

Well, they save printing costs. I didn't check, but maybe you can order one. Although, for around $600, it would be nice if it were included! :)

The only difference is the licensing agreement.

You can use it all you want for student work, but when/if you choose to use it professionally, you've got to pay for that right.

There is no diference between the student and retail versions of Adobe software. Maybe a bit of licensing. I started with a student copy of PS 3 and have just had to buy the "upgrades" ever since. Can't beat CS2 for 150 clams. Use the university store for the sweet discount. Online dealers will give you teh same discount with valid credentials.

1 - Will the upgrade work if you don't have PS in the first place?

2 - And why doesn't it come with a manual? Are they expecting the student to be taking the PS class?

1 - Mine did, *BUT* when I ordered my upgrade, I told them that my original CD was damaged and that this was mostly why I was upgrading. I was sent a full install after providing them with a valid and confirmed serial number.

2 - You do not need theirs, any good PS book will get you started and indeed is better. I did a lot of youtube videos and a couple books on digital photography using CS3 and am doing fine.

Most reactions

Back