Studied and applied your advice for a while!! Here are the latest for CC. Thanks!!!

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have some bad chops and crops and I know I still need a lot of work, but are these looking any better? (I converted some to B&W as you will see.) A little pic heavy...

43.jpg

44.jpg

5-1.jpg

2.jpg

8.jpg

16-1.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

Last edited:
Love #3. I'd like it better with the tree limbs in the background blurred more but it's still very good. A little bit of blowout on her dress but her expression and hands tend to make me ignore little things like that, and it could probably be fixed pretty easily if it's not blown completely away.

You have indeed improved on your focusing, and exposures! Very nice! I do like #3 and also #6.. and would like it even more if I could see her little tootsies (poor baby.. has no feet!) :( lol!

Last edited:
I have some bad chops and crops and I know I still need a lot of work, but are these looking any better?
Honestly? No, overall they don't look any better.

Oh come on, Keith.. at least they are fairly sharp! A big step from where she was! (ok.. maybe not that big of a step!) but she did have the guts to come back.. that has to count for something, right?

Last edited:
Hi AMOMENT. Nice to see you back. Focus looks better. I really like the moment you captured in #3. Did you do some photoshopping on that? The grass is OOF but the boots and the grass immediately next to the boots seems more in focus.

I'll leave the critique to people with more experience.

Thanks, everyone! Even though I may not have made huge strides, I am still trying, lol. I appreciate the cc. Actually no, Desi..didn't photoshop that. I know my compositon (like where I cut out her feet) still needs lots of work. I was mostly trying to concentrate on exposure and focus.

3 had potential but the composition adds nothing. It turns what could have been a great capture into a mediocre one.

I want to like the first one from the cute expression you captures, but you seemed to have focused on her hair and not her face.

I may be (usually am) a minority of one, but I love the moment you've captured in #5; can't really tell you why, but it grabs me. Overall, these are a definite improvement. Not going to say they're a huge improvement, but then the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Out of curiosity, why did you choose to spot-meter these, and did you check your DoF tables when selecting the aperture?

I have some bad chops and crops and I know I still need a lot of work, but are these looking any better?
Honestly? No, overall they don't look any better.
REALLY? That was totally jacked.

Compared to this???
I am just posting this for fun. I had an impromto idea to place my youngest daughter on a platter on a table as if she was my turkey. (poor child) EVERYTHING about this photo is off. I did not have much time to grab the shot because she is barely able to sit up. Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Whoever you are, wherever you are, I hope that tomorrow is a day that shines full of all the things that make your life happy.

re11-1.jpg
and this...

I have a NikonD3100 and a 50mm f/1.8 lens. For these photos I only used a pop up flash for fill. I happened to walk past a room in my house and observed a really nicely illuminated spot. I positioned my "subjects" aka my poor subjected children once again, and took some shots. Here are some of the photos. I don't have any lighting gear yet so I did my best which I'm sure is not very good. (there's alot so I will put them in two threads.) I also tried a piece of tp over my flash to soften it a bit. Thanks in advance! ;-)

annalee1-1.jpg

annalee2-1.jpg

annalee6.jpg

annalee3-1.jpg

annalee7.jpg

MWC2 said:
I see an improvement as well, and yes fake DOF hardly ever looks right.

I am a beginner and wondering what you mean by fake Depth of Field? Thanks!

I think they are taking about the 3 photo. The grass it's way OOF and the boots are Tack-sharp.

Most reactions

Back