Studio Lighting?

duncanp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.duncanphilpott.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so im getting into doing portraits more and right now im just using a diffused 430EX. I'm looking into getting some studio lights as (a) i think i just want some (b) i want to do a lot more portraits and produce proffessional(ish) portrait pictures.

now, do i rent lighting when i need it or do i buy a budget set of lights, or do i buy a more expensive set.

if so what should i be looking at for lighting. im after 2 strobes, 2 stands 2 ubrellas that kind of thing,

any suggestions are welcome :)

I would look at buying a budget set of lights. I'm on the US side of the ocean and I can generally pick up a budget set for $200 - $300 from place like B&H. Once you get past the budget sets, this kind of lighting gets expensive really quickly!

Good luck though - I love to drive my kids crazy with portraits over and over again! I haven't gone the umbrella/strobe route yet, but I do have a few wireless flash units for my commander unit and have spent time taking shots experimenting with backlighting/rim shots/etc.

Ok, so im getting into doing portraits more and right now im just using a diffused 430EX. I'm looking into getting some studio lights as (a) i think i just want some (b) i want to do a lot more portraits and produce proffessional(ish) portrait pictures.

now, do i rent lighting when i need it or do i buy a budget set of lights, or do i buy a more expensive set.

if so what should i be looking at for lighting. im after 2 strobes, 2 stands 2 ubrellas that kind of thing,

any suggestions are welcome :)

I am not familure with your location in the UK, but the small city I live in here in the states has a studio photographer that has two studios strictly for lease to others. You can rent the space on an hourly basis and bring in your own lights or for an additional small fee they have a complete light set up you can rent. It is an excellent way for someone thinking about getting into studio lighting to give it a go without spending a lot of money on equipment they may or may not end up using. If you like it then you will have a better idea what you want to do and what to start buying. Possibly there is something like this across the pond in your area.
Just my 2cents on the matter.

I agree that The Strobist is a great way to learn lighting. All of the things you learn on there can be applied to studio strobes as well so it is a great place for a person on a budget to learn the rules of the road.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back