Studio lights for Weddings?

Sasha73

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got about $1,000.00 to $1,400.00 to spend on studio lights.

I will be using them for Weddings as well as indoor studio sessions. I realize that most photographers don't use studio lights at weddings, however, this photographer will. I just need to know a few things first.

How many lights would I need for the weddings?

Is 250W lights strong enough if I use 2 or more at weddings?

What brand would be best?

I've been looking at Blazzeo studio kits, very cheap in price. I've also been considering Excalibur studio kits, a little more in price. I've priced a lot of other brands and they seem over priced for just 1-2 lights in the kit. But, that's why I'm here asking the pros.

Thank you for your help!!

WOW!! That's a lot money for one light!! I'm thinking studio kit (more than one light)

The main question I have is I guess: Is 250W enough power if I were to use 2 or more lights at a wedding? Or do I need 320W or more like 640W?

That isn't just a light, it's a power pack with battery...which makes it very portable...which may be rather important for shooting weddings. Also, I believe that you could attach another light 'head' to the pack, thus giving you two lights on the same pack.

As for the kits you mentioned, please provide links.

Studio Strobes are rated in Watt seconds (Ws)...not just Watts. As for how much power you would need/want, that's really hard to answer because the range of situations you might shoot in for a wedding, is very large. Also, your personal style will make a difference. If you want to overpower the sun (for dramatic skies etc.) you will need more power than if you are just shooting portraits in an indoor location.

I use studio lights during weddings, but I also use on-camera flash...often both together.

I use a mono-light (as opposed to the pack & head system above). When on the go, I have a portable battery that I attach to the light stand. When in a reception hall, I find a place to plug the light into AC power and keep the strobe in a stationary position.

Here are the two brands I've been looking into buying. One it the Blazzeo kit and the other is the Excalibur kit.

If someone could let me know if I should discard both brands and look into something else or if one of these are good quality lights.

I have to post 5 posts before they will let me add a link. :er:

Please bear with me here!! :blushing:

WOW!! That's a lot money for one light!! I'm thinking studio kit (more than one light)

The main question I have is I guess: Is 250W enough power if I were to use 2 or more lights at a wedding? Or do I need 320W or more like 640W?

1 of those is all you need and is very portable

So where would I place this one light when I would be moving around during the ceremony?? To the right, left, or over head to have the center light? :(I've got so much to learn!!

Most reactions

Back