Studio Portraits C&C Please

Tulsa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Few pictures I would like c&c. My strong suit is not studio and portraits, but I am working on it... Had some friends stop by today to be test dummies. The last two I just wanted to try something different.

IMG_9646.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9656.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_9665.jpg

IMG_9667.jpg

IMG_9677.jpg

IMG_9672.jpg

Get down to their level. Imagine when looking at your photos (# 1.2.5 and 7) if you had been 1-4 feet below their eye level. The result is extremely different impact, punch and pizazz. Most don't bothering getting low as a result low grabs more attention while high is normal been there common. Otherwise they are quite nice.

My favorite pose is #3 with the kids eyes both looking different directions.

But all of the pictures are somewhat soft. I also don't like what you've done with the last 2 - they are just kind of "blah" (7 moreso than 8)

Get down to their level. Imagine when looking at your photos (# 1.2.5 and 7) if you had been 1-4 feet below their eye level. The result is extremely different impact, punch and pizazz. Most don't bothering getting low as a result low grabs more attention while high is normal been there common. Otherwise they are quite nice.

Other than number 1, cannot get much lower. Any lower I would be looking up at them from the floor.

Thanks guys for the feedback, I get the soft too, been having saving issues, I think I overcomensated in editing, will rework them.

Tulsa, your exif data reads that all images were shot at f/1.8 with a 50mm, which would typically lead to a softer image (Canon 50mm 1.8 is fairly soft wide open) and an extremely shallow DoF depending on closest focus distance of course.

Thanks, This is really the best lens I have right now for portraits, would bumping it up a stop or two relieve the softness?

Last edited:
Tulsa, your exif data reads that all images were shot at f/1.8 with a 50mm, which would typically lead to a softer image (Canon 50mm 1.8 is fairly soft wide open) and an extremely shallow DoF depending on closest focus distance of course.

He's right. It's all been said, except I don't think it's so much as "a been there done that", when it comes to a photo being taken of a child above the eyeline. It's such a dominate shooting position, it really takes away from young client subjects and what they project.

He's right. It's all been said, except I don't think it's so much as "a been there done that", when it comes to a photo being taken of a child above the eyeline. It's such a dominate shooting position, it really takes away from young client subjects and what they project.

Say what????

Thanks, This is really the best lens I have right now for portraits, would bumping it up a stop or two relieve the softness?

YES! When shooting portraits I try to stay around 2.8 or better. If you are shooting more than one person you'll want even more to ensure that you are going to get everyones eyes. A portrait, unless being artistic, should have your subject sharp from nose to the back of the head.

I agree, you could use a little less post work. If you are using Photoshop, a little tip for sharpening (not saving) an image is this.

Copy your image to a new layer > Set the blend mode to Overlay > Click Filter > High Pass > Set the radius at about 1.5 - 1.8 > click ok

The image should be much sharper... Be sure to sharpen image post crop!

Hope this helps!

Jason Lambert
www.JasonLambertPhotography.com

Some issues like mentioned above include softness, white balance, and shadow outlines. Also the PP is a bit rough.

Your right, I had 2 browsers open and refered to another photo. Seriously, an honest mistake. I caught his comment, and was bouncing back and forth, then posted. I mean, clearly, what I described is not present in your photos, none of them. Sorry man.:er:

Say what????

Drop down box at the top of the layers pallette.
Thanks, thats where I saw it, still getting familiarized.

However when I follow those directions, I get, Could not complete, selected area is empty.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back