Studio Setup Practice on a Budget

I just used the disagree button for the first time ever. I feel that modeling lights are the key to helping beginners learn how to position their lights. I think learning how to light using speedlights is just fumbling around in the dark, and is a huge handicap for the beginner. The MORE experienced you are, the less you need modeling lights, based on lots of experience and work with specific lights.

I do think there is an upside to not having the modeling light as a beginner and that's portability. If you're buying one light to start out with, having a speedlight that you don't need an additional battery or wall plug for is an advantage over using a monolight or pack and head system if you don't have the room to set up in your home or don't want to always drag the heavier lighting gear with you. I know when I first started learning about how to light I would shoot where ever my friends were and that wasn't always in a location where power was available. With a camera bag that easily accomodates a speedlight and triggers, all I had to carry in addition to my normal kit was a small portable light stand and an umbrella. Walla! Portable studio!

And when you're shooting on location with a "studio" light on a battery, most manufactures warn against using the modeling light while on juice.

That's kind of where I am. I can CERTAINLY see both sides of the discussion and they make sense. So, I'm probably going to combine them...I've found (what appears to be a nice) entry level studio strobe with a model light that I'll probably pick up in the semi-near future along with another speedlight (for a total of two), some light stands, and a couple different modifiers. The only reason for me to even be looking into studio lighting right now is in order to be completely prepared should the opportunity arrive to do some headshots or studio portraits.

In the meantime, most of my shooting will be outdoors. So, I've talked my wife into modeling for me so I can practice balancing fill flash with ambient light.

Of course, that begs the question, to modify the fill or not? Should I use a softbox or umbrella when I'm competing with the sun in less than ideal shooting scenarios?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back