Study in Black

Well, I have to admit, it's easier to "see what you are getting" with hot lights vs strobes, even with model lights. I really appreciate it when doing work with still life on a small scale, and I duly appreciate when working with people.

Yeah, exactly. I don't know anyone who uses strobes for still life unless the subject is really heat sensitive. Strobes are sort of like big zooms: They're the sexy equipment that attract a lot of people, but they aren't a must-have unless you have specific reasons.

Wow Matt...you are really re-inspiring me to try to perfect my Menards clip on lighting set up! :lol: I have had a hard time getting nice lighting with them. Heres a tip to help with them getting too hot: I have an extension cord that has one of those little 'on/off' wheel switches on it...I have them plugged into that, and I can easily shut them off if I am going to have an extended time between takes.

Thanks Corry :) I have my lights plugged into a power strip and I just trip the switch to turn them off. That helps, but I had them on constantly for an hour, photographing nonstop. They get hot, and so does the model :p

Did you use a reflector at all to help with any fill lighting? I like what you've done here. I also have been using hot lights in my little in-home studio and rather like them...but they get so hot I'm afraid to have little kids around them

Matt, your photos are fantastic and so are Marge's... make her join up! Make her I say!!! :D

Matt-
Amazing as Usual.

B

Most reactions

New Topics

Back