What's new

Stunning Astrophotographs

From Dan Crowson:
Note - I added some links to parts of the quote.
The Draco Trio - consists of NGC 5981 (edge-on spiral at the right), 5982 (elliptical in the center) and 5985 (face-on spiral at the left). All are located approximately 100 million light-years away.
Imaged over seven nights in March, 2016 from Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.
Luminance – 27x600s – 270 minutes – binned 1x1
RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2
390 minutes total exposure – 6 hours 30 minutes
In addition to the 3 main subject galaxies, looking at the original 3352 x 2532 photograph I see an additional 22 smaller and fainter galaxies.

All sizes | NGC 5981 + 5982 + 5985 - LRGB | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
 
Using my 12" telescope I would only be able to glimpse the big galaxies in that guy's image as faint smugges of light if I was at a truly dark observing sight.
From where I normally observe I wouldn't be able to see them at all.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom