Stupid ??????

DocFrankenstein said:

How true that is... very... There are many times that I have been without my camera and I have been bummed because of a cool lighting seen or weird object.

Remember that a lot of the great photographers of times past like Ansel Adams et. al used cameras with less complexity and technology than the disposable point-and-shoots of today. There is literally no shot the D50 cannot take. Technique is the key.

For me the main problem with non-SLRs/rangefinders is the lack of flexibility. Yes you can create a great shot with a point-&-shoot, but you can't take a shot handheld in low light without flash that you would be able to take with an f1.4 lens and ISO 3200, because no point-&-shoot has either of those (ok some have ISO 3200 but not really useable). Similarly the built-in macro may get relatively close but you could get even closer with some extension tubes. Just some examples. Of course there are things an SLR can't do and a digital point-&-shoot can, like accurately framing shots without having to put your eye to a viewfinder.

Anyway a D50 would be an excellent choice. If you think you might need a D80, don't just assume it's a better camera and therefore you need it. Consider what would be the befits to you of buying a D80 instead of a D50. For example, my reasons would be the better viewfinder, larger buffer, mirror delay and DOF preview, and potentially the autofocus system, rather than the number of megapixels - I find 6mp perfectly adequate. What is important to me is not the same as what is important to you, but my point is to consider the actual features and performance and how well they fit your needs, rather than just wanting the newest model.

P.s. Tiberius, actually the D50 can't take a shot of the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand. :mrgreen:

Thankyou guys for the input, it is a great help. Keep it coming I hope I can make up my mind soon.

Most reactions

Back