What's new

Sub $1K 5Yr FF?

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
626
Reaction score
4
Location
New England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I predict that there is at least a 50/50 chance that by the year 2015, there will be a sub $1000 consumer (or prosumer) Full Frame SLR on the market.

Agree? Disagree? Wishful thinking?

Who do you think will crack it first? My money's on Olympus or Pentax. Maybe Sony.
 
I'd bet on Sony. Don't they already have a 24MP full frame DSLR that is half the price of the Canon/Nikon equivalent?
 
You'll probably be able to get a Canon 5D for under $1000 pretty soon :-P
 
But.. .but... 2012...

My bet is on Sony as well. They are the underdog that needs to gain marketshare. They have a group with camera development experience (Minolta). They have the ability to manufacturer sensors and electronics.
 
It will be by Microsoft and they will call it "Window" It will be incompatible with everything :lmao:
 
I love your collective optimism regarding the Fed's inflation strategy. Americans are always so wonderfully optimistic regarding long-term debt and commitments.

I say 7% inflation starting by 2012, and a $2,000 FF camera by 2015.

...and as I sad before, it will have God mode, designed by Chase Jarvis. All of your pics will have that really cool fish-eye look where Heidi Klum is shredding a rail while a James Nachtway-esque orphan is in the background being posed by Ansel Adams - in HDR! And the Saturation goes to 11!
 
I don't see it happening, for most consumers they have no Idea of the benifits of full frame, as well they will have to re-engeneer some cheap full frame lenses.

I think DX is here to stay in the consumer world, I do see lower priced FF, but only in the Prosumer/Pro market.
 
I'm doubtful that the price will erode to below $1,000 by 2015. I just do not think it can go that low that soon--that price leaves too much money in the wallets of customers. Sony was the first company to set the price of a FF d-slr at below $2,000,with the A 850, but their sales have not been as high as they had hoped. Sony has not has as much success at buying market share as I think they had thought they would get by price-cutting so seriously over the price of the Canon and Nikon $2,700 FF Cameras 5D-II and D700. Looking at sales from 2009, I think the d-slr market's growth days are numbered, and the new interchangeable lens compact camera market segment (both Micro 4/3 and other "similar formats") is where the camera companies will focus their attentions, and I think FF marketing will not be focused on getting the prices down below lower than say $1599. If at all. FF sensors still and always will, cost more than much-smaller 1.6x and 2.0 smaller than FF sensors, and I do not see unit sales making up for the greater component prices of FF sensors.

But who really knows?
 
So I predict that there is at least a 50/50 chance that by the year 2015, there will be a sub $1000 consumer (or prosumer) Full Frame SLR on the market.

Agree? Disagree? Wishful thinking?

Who do you think will crack it first? My money's on Olympus or Pentax. Maybe Sony.
They get significantly fewer FF chips from a silicon wafer, than they do AFS-C chips.

Unless there is a significant reduction in the cost to manufacture FF chips, I'd say No-Way-Jose.
 
......., I'd say No-Way-Jose.
B-b-b-but he's my best friend. Don't be dissin' him, man. :er:


:lmao:


I'm guessing that in 2015 I'll still be able to afford what I fancy. :D

Speculation is fun, but doesn't provide any substance.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom