Sub-categories in the Equipment forum

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to see if it’s possible to include some sub-categories in the Equipment forums. Specifically a Nikon and Canon section since that is the vast majority of camera brands that are owned by the members.

The reason is pretty simple. So many threads are started “What lens do you suggest?” without stating which brand of body it is to be mounted. Since many of us that would like to respond are knowledgeable about our brand specific camera and would like to contribute to the OP’s question, it becomes annoying to open the thread only to discover it is in regard to the other brand. Of course, there are several members that are quite capable of answering questions on many different makes and models as well as third party suggestions.

This is not intent to segregate and create a division between the users, or to disregard those that choose any other capable brands of cameras. It attempts to have the OP receive a more concise set of responses by those that are more knowledgeable in one brand over the other.

If I’m getting “error 99” on my Nikon Dxxx, Nikon users are more likely to know the reasons. If the OP wants to know the differences between the Rebel XTi vs XTs, then Canon users probably have a better handle on the features one model has over the other.

This may have already been suggested and dismissed, if so, I think it’s worth a revisit.

Just a thought.

Thanks……………

I would like to see if it’s possible to include some sub-categories in the Equipment forums. Specifically a Nikon and Canon section since that is the vast majority of camera brands that are owned by the members.

The reason is pretty simple. So many threads are started “What lens do you suggest?” without stating which brand of body it is to be mounted. Since many of us that would like to respond are knowledgeable about our brand specific camera and would like to contribute to the OP’s question, it becomes annoying to open the thread only to discover it is in regard to the other brand. Of course, there are several members that are quite capable of answering questions on many different makes and models as well as third party suggestions.

This is not intent to segregate and create a division between the users, or to disregard those that choose any other capable brands of cameras. It attempts to have the OP receive a more concise set of responses by those that are more knowledgeable in one brand over the other.

If I’m getting “error 99” on my Nikon Dxxx, Nikon users are more likely to know the reasons. If the OP wants to know the differences between the Rebel XTi vs XTs, then Canon users probably have a better handle on the features one model has over the other.

This may have already been suggested and dismissed, if so, I think it’s worth a revisit.

Just a thought.

Thanks……………

Where do you plan to put questions from posters that have to do with equipment other than Canon and Nikon?

skieur

There is still plenty of room for those general purpose questions under the top category Equipment forum. This was a suggestion for specific Nikon and Canon questions, not an attempt to negate users of any other brand by any stretch of your imagination.

There is still plenty of room for those general purpose questions under the top category Equipment forum. This was a suggestion for specific Nikon and Canon questions, not an attempt to negate users of any other brand by any stretch of your imagination.

Ah, so the majority of Nikon and Canon users do not want to sift through each others postings, but it is OK for Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Leica, Casio, Panasonic and others as well as the film users still around.

skieur

Oh skieur.... are you trying to take the piss or just being pedantic? :confused:

Did you actually read my original post? Apparently not. Why don't you troll on another thread. My suggestion was just that.... a suggestion with reason. If you don't see it that way, then fine. I have seen the division on other forums without any ridicule.

No doubt I am a Lone Star in this effort. To be honest, I could care less, but I certainly thought it was worth a go. Thanks for your input.

C'mon Folks.... somebody else must have an opinion. Surely I'm not the only one. Stop calling me Shirley......

We can't let negative Nancys have the day.

A few boads I am on have subsectiosn to the equipment area - usually one for each of the brands commonly out there and also a general section - needless to say that some areas like the nikon and canon get a lot of use, whilst others are smaller in use, but it does help break things up into managable sections.

Kundalini's idea gets my vote, which is worth 100 of anyone else's as I'm so awesome

hmmm....You know, we really try not to split the forum off in too many ways with subs....I'm not sure if it's warranted in this case.

Now, there is a new vB function for labeling post titles. It's a way to view a complete forum page and clearly see if a thread carrying a specific label that might interest you. We've not really gone too far with it for fear of over-use.

I could play around with this feature and perhaps add something for use in the Equipment forum only, for Canon and Nikon. There would be a drop-down menu where you could flag your thread as brand-specific.

We could give that a try as a compromise to adding subforums, maybe? What do you guys think of the idea?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back