Substitution to kit lens - beginner

darkblue-x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have taken quite the liking for photography and would still consider myself a beginner, perhaps beginner *plus* at best.
I have tried a couple of different cameras and the one I liked the best as a beginner with the value and features is the NIKON D5500. Alright! So I have decided on the body.

I've tried the kit lens that comes with the D5500, I do not like the distance it can reach and would prefer 18mm-XXXmm or something alike.
I don't have much interest in purchasing multiple lenses at this juncture.
What I had taken a look at is the NIKKOR 18-140mm lens...

If anyone could provide their thoughts on my choice or suggest another viable option for substitute to kit lens with similar range would be much appreciated.

Please don't cross-post threads.
(reported)

Please don't cross-post threads.
(reported)
How kind of you given that this is the first time I post ever.
Which forum sub-section was most appropriate, one was more general and the other was more specific to Nikon users.

It may help to let us know what you are trying to shoot and why the 55mm is not long enough.

Like anything, longer zooms come with compromises generally speaking. The largest aperture will tend to be smaller than a tele sized prime. Often times the wider end of the lens may show signs of distortion or other similar issues. That being said many people here use lots of the available Nikon lenses with great success.

For you, my advice would be the Nikon 55-200 it will pick up where your current kit lens leaves off and its very reasonably priced. If you need a bit more reach you can go for the 55-300 which again will pick up where your kit lens leaves off and give you a bit more on the tele end.

If you want a one and one lens the Nikon 18-300 will cover everything you ever will need. This will get you stuck at F3.5 at the lower end which could hurt you in low light.

A decent kit may be the Nikon 35mm F1.8 prime paired with the 55-200 tele zoom. This gives you a nice sharp prime good for low light and a decent tele lens for the rest.

I know you mention you dont have much interest in multiple lenses but the power of an SLR is that you can change the lenses and use the right lens for the scenario.

Dave

But it's the same question - per the TPF rules, in the future, please pick one forum, not multiples.

I have a friend that only uses his 18-200mm lens when he just goes out for walk around shooting. There is now an 18-300mm lens as well. I prefer to change lenses and not use one lens for everything.

I think the 18-140mm is ok for the price and having just that one lens certainly makes it simple to decide on what lens to put on the camera.

For the record, back when I started with DSLRs I quickly dropped the 18-55 in favor of the 35/1.8 DX prime lens. The additional light (the zoom has to be stopped down to about f/8 for good performance, while the prime is tolerably sharp even wide open at f/1.8, just as it should - thats a friggin more than 4 stops, i.e. 16 times, as much light to work with) and the good image quality made the zoom look completely uninteresting.

But if you absolutely have to have a superzoom - the 18-200 DX superzoom is really a good performer - not in absolute terms, but for superzooms this lens is really quite brilliant, certainly among the masterpieces from Nikon, even if more a sad one. And they are available relatively cheap on the used market now, because they have existed since quite a long time now, which always drives the prices of lenses down. Its still no actually a great deal, but its a tolerable bang for the buck ratio if you absolutely must have a superzoom.

YES, sure...the 18-140mm is the latest in a series of Nikon zoom lens offerings that went roughly, 18-55; 18-70;18-105,18-135, and now, 18-140mm. SURE, makes sense: you eant more zoom range than an 18-55 can provide: I totally,totally"get" that, and I agree!

MANY people value the convenience of the wider-range lenses, like the 18-135 or 18-140, or even the 18-200 or 18-300.

Most reactions

Back