What's new

Such a newb

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Mar 16, 2010
Messages
2,655
Reaction score
179
Location
Southern Alberta
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So last night I think its nice out lets go try to get some pictures of moving objects, my horses and see how it goes.

Newbie mistakes to avoid.

1. Forgetting your camera's manual at home, and it locks up with an ERROR message... ERR CHA. Take quad go home figure it out, head back out.

2. Forgetting an additional memory card, after you have already gone back home read in the manual that it could be the card and you've gotten rid of all the images and reformatted it and it didnt work.

3. Forgetting your surroundings and kneeling down to get a great shot and then remembering your in the horse pasture and your knee is suddenly feeling smooshy.:banghead:

I still would like a falmpalm smilie lol. So yes, these were my newb mistakes and I tell you if anyone can give me a hint on trying to take decent horse photos, please share. I had an 1100 pound mare trying to be a lap dog and of course both of them thought my neck strap was something to nibble on. This is the only decent shot I really got, I know the lighting is a bit harsh and I know I cut off my geldings ear but I love the expression in my sons face.

4603760455_3da38f6241.jpg
 
Aside from getting a little more of the horses head, I really like the DoF you got here. It gives nice seperation from the subjects.
 
Thanks, so question how do you avoid the harsh lighting around dusk. Setting sun and all throwing all sorts of shadows, red lighting on skintones. I dont mind it persay personally but its not generally acceptable right?
 
Thanks, so question how do you avoid the harsh lighting around dusk. Setting sun and all throwing all sorts of shadows, red lighting on skintones. I dont mind it persay personally but its not generally acceptable right?

In photography I think there is no real "generally". It's what you see and how you want to capture it. The image has to make you happy, not other people (unless you want to make a living off of it...).

You can diffuse the light by using a light diffusion panel. You can buy those or build them yourself if you're a do-it-yourself man or woman.

A thin fabric like white rip stop nylon will still allow some light to travel through it without changing the temperature. It just makes the light softer.

Depending on the thickness and characteristics (or even colors) of the fabric you can create different looks.

The link below shows how you can build such a panel yourself (although it is intended for softening your strobe lights).

Ender Nygen's Photography Blog: DIY Step-by-Step Light Panels Tutorial

Be creative.

I like the shot. You're almost there.
 
Thanks for the tip. Appreciate it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom