Suggestion - Critique generating ring site feature

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I've been having a thought on that most topical subject of critique and I've hit upon an idea which could potentially help in the promotion of critique on the site. Something that promotes increasing the critique and the quality of critique given on the forums for users of all skill levels.

So here is a rough concept.

1) A user makes a thread titled "Crit ring 'month' 'regular title of thread'" where month is the month its posted in - generally abbreviated to 3 letters for title space (eg nov, dec, jan)
By posting the thread like that the user is stating that this thread is part of the critique ring for that specific month.

2) A user may make as many of these threads per month as they wish, although the more they make the more the process will dilute for themselves*

3) By making a Critique Ring thread the user posting the thread agrees that every single user who posts critique of a worth while nature** in their thread will have at least one of their own critique ring threads (for that month) commented on by the OP.
This means that by asking for critique the user is also offering their own constructive input onto others photographs.

Furthermore this concept reinforces learning by helping to force people to not only take critique, but also to give it out. It forces them to sit down and work out some critique, maybe not for their own work, but for others work at the very least. The act of giving thus helping to reinforce a concept of structured assessment of an image (with the amount of structure hopefully increasing as they develop).
In addition even if the person is an utterly new photographer they can still take part, maybe they'll give some interesting critique or maybe they'll make a bit of a mess of it the first few times. No problem. Remember the learning process does not have to stop just in a users own thread - nothing stops debate and discussion about critique in ones own threads and indeed it is often from discussion as opposed to just jump and run critiques (both giving and receiving) that the most learning can potentially be done.

NOTE - this isn't a "praise me praise you" kind of affair. Critique is critique no matter what aspects it focuses upon so this shouldn't end up like flickr groups where people just praise each other in circles.

This method also helps encourage people out of their comfort zones. Pushing them to both view different kinds of photo than they would normally view or reply to and also forcing them to view not just their equals but also (hopefully) their superiors photos with a critical eye. Study of higher level artistry/photography helps a lot in a user developing and improving especially when that study becomes one of a critical nature (both technically and artistically).

Problems/limits

a) Some limit should be suggested for the number of given critiques on any one thread that the user has to reply to. This to avoid the situation where a hot-topic photo generates a mass reply which would end up with the user having to give out far too much in critique to make the process worth while. This limit shouldn't discourage giving more than the limits worth of critique (it is hoped that those giving critique are doing so not just from a mercenary angle to get their own), but would serve as a safety net.

b) Critique Ring "groups" forming. I fully expect that if this works users will end up forming little critique ring friend groups where they all critique each others work. It's my hope that these groups will grow as it allows increased social building in the community - whilst the nature of the ring system means that those outside of a supposed group can still jump in and take part.

c) Quality issues - this is the weakest point and potentially something that needs its own solution. That said its my experience that the effort put into giving in such an enforced critique setup generally results in an increase in the quality of what will come - and over time all users will hopefully improve both the quality of their own photography and the level of their critical eye.

d) Prevention of users skipping out on giving critique. Note that most times this will happen is when critique is given by someone who hasn't yet posted their own crit ring thread for the month. We can't all expect to be posting crit ring threads on the 1st of each month and the scheme would lose its potential if it only works on the end of each month.
This might involve generation of some "crit ring" subscription thread for a specific month - the idea being users would all have a central easy to check thread where they can post a link to their crit ring thread(s) for the month into and which can be easily checked by users through the month.

*I would like to do it week by week, but since the weeks in a year don't have any specific name or number that we commonly use I think attributing week numbers would just become confusing (esp long term).

**This is possibly the weak point though I would argue that we can set out some standards. For example the critique being actual critique and not just opinionated (eg I like it/hate it). I would also add that a sense of length be added, one sentence wonders wouldn't generally be ranked very highly if at all.

So there is the idea and concept - so what do people think? Is it worth a shot, what problems or solutions can you see to what is outlined.

Will read more later, need sleep. But i do have some thoughts about ring sites in general ... maybe you've addressed this.

Ring sites are really a "Web 1.0" concept, if not even really "pre-1.0". They don't really reflect how we use the internet today. I think a traditional geocities/altavista era style ring would seem strange for today's users, you hardly ever run into them on a day to day basis.

I think that rings could be made web-2.0 "compatible" but you'll have to tweak the concept a bit to make it more in line with how people today think of the web and how they interact with it.

As far as the weekly concept, rather than assigning "week numbers," you might consider doing something like "December 2012, week 1." Oooorrrrrrr "week beginning Dec 3, 2012"

I am willing to try. I'm so new that I don't believe I'll be able to be much help in giving out critique for a while, but I will certainly try so that I might have the favor returned. I do believe that will also help me learn (attempting to give out critique).

I joined here to learn and get critique on my photos. I'm very new. I really have learned a lot at this site and I appreciate that. I have read one book and am most of the way through another. I've got two more lined up and then I'll see where I'm at and what I should do next. I'm really trying to get the basics and get them into practice.

I am part of another hobby where I am very often able to help out those who need or ask for the help so I do understand how valuable it can be to come together with others who have similar interests and are willing to share.

One thing I learned, that seems so simple, is that we have to have good information to learn from, but we also have to be willing to put it into practice. Then, from time to time, we need others who will help us see how we could move forward from where we currently are. Sometimes, even when we are great at something, we get tunnel vision.

It's easy to get aggravated with how things currently are and stick to those who are more similar to us in our level of understanding. I believe we will learn more and help our ideals grow by sharing with those who are now where we once were.

Anyway, I am very interested in photography. Once I begin to move from beginner to intermediate, I don't want to stall. In my other hobby, training with others helped me move through the stages and I'm guessing that will be true in this hobby as well (for me).

It sadly won't work for me. I don't know enough about photography yet to give proper critique. Yes I have pointed out a few things I have liked in people's pictures an given them a " great job!" But the type of "useful" critique I want, I can't give others.

Basically I see a lot of one line responses coming or being told incorrect information because they "had" to give feedback. This is why I opted for the mentoring program which has been significantly helping me.

I really appreciate you thinking hard on this to try and make the forums a better place.

It sadly won't work for me. I don't know enough about photography yet to give proper critique. Yes I have pointed out a few things I have liked in people's pictures an given them a " great job!" But the type of "useful" critique I want, I can't give others.

Basically I see a lot of one line responses coming or being told incorrect information because they "had" to give feedback. This is why I opted for the mentoring program which has been significantly helping me.

I really appreciate you thinking hard on this to try and make the forums a better place.

IF an image is supposed to have an emotional impact, THEN anyone who sees and feels can respond and critique. Think of an image as a meal - you do not have to know all the kitchen technique to be able to say that the taste, texture, and appearance is great or not. On a photography forum, we tend to be wrapped up in the technique and equipment, but really, in the end the image must be able to speak to you, the viewer. If it does not, despite being technically perfect, then the image does not succeed. If it touches you emotionally, even if it was not technically perfect, then it DOES succeed.

There are, in fact, two different approaches to critique - the technical approach (from the perspective of someone who makes the image), and the responsive approach (the "consumer" of the image). Certainly, the technical approach requires knowledge of the techniques, but in many ways, that is not what the image-maker wants to know. When we talk about an image's effect on us, we contribute our opinions and feelings. Since what we respond to is coloured by our cultural bearings, personal experiences, and expectations, each of us will probably have a different response to any image, and I think it is useful to hear out the different experiences.

If you see, and if you feel, you have enough to give a critique of how the image affected you as a viewer. And that is valuable.

Overread, it is worth trying this. It might not work, and then again, it might work very well - a lot will depend on the participants. One thread that is going gang-busters at the present, is Bitter Jeweler's "Visual Echoes" thread - it seems to have triggered a deluge of really good and fun images. If the critiques are also approached in a relatively light and fun way, this idea may grow legs.

Overread, it is worth trying this. It might not work, and then again, it might work very well - a lot will depend on the participants. One thread that is going gang-busters at the present, is Bitter Jeweler's "Visual Echoes" thread - it seems to have triggered a deluge of really good and fun images. If the critiques are also approached in a relatively light and fun way, this idea may grow legs.
I vote "Visual Echoes" for thread of the year!

Back on topic, I think the ring o' critiques would be EXTREMELY successful - among a small set of people. Would it be valuable? Absolutely! Maybe it could catch on after a month or two, but I'm confident it could create a ton of skepticism among the not-so-regular crowd. Yeah, I'm new, but I personally would happily participate. How many of me are out there? No idea. I say get it going and see where it ends up!

First I'm glad that the mentoring has helped :)
As for the giving of wrong critique, the ring system only asks that the person gives the time and their honest appraisal of a photo to the best of their ability. Everyone is capable of expressing their views beyond "its great/bad/fantastic/terrible" one line replies and the process of having to actually think about what you're looking at is certainly worth while.

Back on topic, I think the ring o' critiques would be EXTREMELY successful - among a small set of people. Would it be valuable? Absolutely! Maybe it could catch on after a month or two, but I'm confident it could create a ton of skepticism among the not-so-regular crowd. Yeah, I'm new, but I personally would happily participate. How many of me are out there? No idea. I say get it going and see where it ends up!

My expectation is that there will indeed be little groups that form around the scheme and I've honestly no problem with that at all. So long as the groups remain active and contributing its a fantastic way to build community and help learning on the site.

As for naysayers, they are always there, but its important to always understand their input. Many times they can point out critical flaws long before they arise for real.

Nothing ventured nothing gained IMHO. We have a plethora of troubleshooter type personalities around here who will help tweak things over the first while to get any kinks out.

I find it interesting, the need to create a mechanism to "force" critique, while there are so many threads that need critiqueing right now.

JUST
DO
IT!

I feel doing this will create another clique, and will hurt members here not involved.

Another option would be a simpler version, where a user can put crit tag in his thread title and then anybody who critiques the photo can put a link to one of their photos that the OP would then critique.

So, lets say I put up an image that I really want some thoughts on, and runnah has an image he also wants thoughts on. 1) I put up "*crit tag* The Modern American Cafe" 2) Runnah responds with substantive critique and then posts a link to any photo he's ever posted. 3) I respond to Runnah's thread with my critique and a link back to my thread as well. 4) after receiving my response, runnah edits his original post on my thread to indicate I fulfilled my duty

I think this might be a good alternative to consider because it doesn't force anybody into the system, if they respond to my thread they can merely leave response with no link. Also there's no months or weeks to keep track of. Increased activity would be rewarded. Further, if the user began to feel overwhelmed, they could simply post in their thread indicating such and amend the thread title to remove 'crit tag'. So if 50 people responded to my thread and I needed some time to breathe, I could simply make a post into the tread saying 'temporarily (or permanently) suspending crit tag for this thread so I can catch up. Feel free to comment, but be aware crit tag would not apply for the time being while I catch up." I'd then edit my thread title to remove crit tag from it to avoid people responding without reading the replies and then being disappointed.

Also for a user who gave me feedback on my crit tag post, their picture wouldn't be required to be a crit tag post as well. Ie they could simply want a little critique and post on a couple of crit tag threads to get it, without having to make their own thread crit tag. I think that would benefit non regular users, who may simply not be able to visit the site enough to do a crit tag thread of their own without getting obliged into doing a ton of critique.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back