What's new

Suggestions for a camera?

Lizziebaba

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
chicago
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Needs:
-taking shots at concerts from the base of the stage
-video footage of concerts
-video interviews
-good zoom!

So basically I need a camera that can focus and handle itself well in dark lighting without needing flash (if that's possible), good microphone (or at least a microphone plug-in), and video capabilities of HD 1080 p.

I am looking at hopefully a price limit of 1000 dollars, but i am willing to pay more (1500-1700) if i need to.
Also, would i be better off just investing in a good body and spending money on a lens later?

I have shot with Canon before and really liked it, but I am open to other brands. I looked into the Canon EOS 7D and I really like what it has to offer as far as video goes, but according to a review that i read (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7D/E7DA.HTM) it does not do well in dim lighting, which is one of my main concerns. Any other suggestions?

Thanks! I've never really photographed professionally but with my new job, photography is one of the skills it entails.

Appreciate any input!
:-P
 
Well, your budget is fairly low. If you want a decent zoom with good dark focusing and AF on the camera body, you need at least an F/2.8 lens that either has a built in motor to focus or a camera body that does. Both of which are going to cost you big money. Also, as far as Im concerned, no DSLR has the mic capabilities built in for wonderful audio. You will need to have a plug in. That being said, your budget is about half what it should be if you need to buy the body and the lens (and the mic!). If you plan on doing alot of video, you will also need many extra batteries and memory cards, so make sure you factor those in as well. I dont shoot Canon, never have before. I do know, however, that one of their top-grade cameras offers wonderful 1080p. I just dont 100% know which one it is. I believe it is the Canon 5d MKII ($2500 body only). I dont know much about Canon's zooms, but know that you will need at least a constant aperture of F/2.8. Also keep in mind during your search that your camera should specify that it does Auto AF during video, or it will be completely manual. The Nikon D3100 has that, but no focusing motor, so all your lenses will have to be AF-S. I believe the D7000 does as well, with a built in focusing motor and mic input, but it is a $1200 body. The zoom lens can be something like a 17-55mm ($1400 from Nikon or 17-50 2.8 is $450 from Tamron) or something similar if you plan on being close to the bands and would be wonderful for interviews, but if youre too far away from anything, it just wouldnt be of much assistance. For this, you could use something like a 70-200 2.8, but the newest model from Nikon is $2200. In all reality, you may just need both lenses. The short one for the interviews and the other for when you are a little further away. All this money is before whatever the mic costs, batteries, memory cards, tripod for interviews, etc, etc, etc.

Soooo, in summary:

  • Its going to be hard to find an all-in-one, fast zoom that will work for you. I would suggest the Sigma 50-150mm F/2.8 or start with the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8.
  • You will most likely have to bump the budget just for the body alone if you would like Auto AF, 1080p, mic input, and AF during video
  • You will likely have to bump the budget again if you would like a range of focal lengths to cover alot of different situations.
  • Canon and Nikon both make wonderful 1080p-recording still cameras. It is really a toss-up as to who you choose.
I, personally, would get a Nikon D90 or D7000 if budget allows, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Nikon 35mm F/1.8G, Sigma 50-150mm F/2.8. This covers a full range of what you mayneed while shooting this.

Hope this helped.
Mark
 
Thank you for your input. :)

well, this is a disappointing.. i was really looking forward to finally getting a real camera to work with! but i suppose it'll be worth the wait when i do have enough to get what I need.

i'll look into the sigma you mentioned as well.
 
With that budget you have no chance
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom