Suggestions for a entry level DSLR Camera

Kortney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I am getting into entry level photography and am looking for suggestions on the best entry level camera to purchase. I have looked into several different models by Nikon, Canon and Sony.

The models I have been looking into include Nikon D5200, Canon EOS Rebel T3i, Nikon D600, Sony Alpha SLT - A77, Canon EOS 5D and Nikon D3200.

I am interested in doing mostly portrait, landscape, microscope/zoomed and low light photos.

I am also looking into which lenses are best to start off with for these types of photos.

Any suggestions?

I was very recently in your shoes and after lots of research and talking to friends I went with the D5200 kit that had the 18-105mm lens. Additionally I purchased a 35mm prime lens as I'm very interested in the outcomes you get from photos taken with it.

I've had my camera for a week now and can say I'm totally happy with the purchase. For the price / feature set you'll be hard pressed to find a better camera than the D5200 IMO. My close second choice was the D5100, but the 5200 just had so many more focal points, and the "nice to have" features of the 3200 (ability for wifi, geo-coding, more megapixels, updated processing engine)

Good luck!

Jesse

You answered your own question. The best entry-level is the entry-level, meaning the cheapest DSLR offered by either brand. I say this not because you don't deserve a better camera but because equipment is irrelevant in pursuit of mastering the fundamentals. Thus, you can save money until you develop the skills to master the fundamentals.

The Nikon D600 is not an entry-level camera. It's a camera for people who understand and have some degree of mastery of the fundamentals. If you don't, you're just paying for something cool, and that doesn't improve your photography. So specifically I suggest the Nikon D3100, or the equivalent of the brand you like. I know it sounds boring, but if you don't how to pose someone and you don't know how to control light, why pay more for a camera that can do none of that for you? A camera simply takes decisions you make and records light. It has nothing to do with how good your photography is. Nobody goes to a five-star restaurant because of the knives they use. They go because the chef is great at what he does. The tools are only as good as the skills you have.

Joel Nisleit Photography | How to Buy a New Camera Body, Or the Best Camera for Beginners

Joel Nisleit Photography | What Lens Should You Buy?

Hi,

I am getting into entry level photography and am looking for suggestions on the best entry level camera to purchase. I have looked into several different models by Nikon, Canon and Sony.

The models I have been looking into include Nikon D5200, Canon EOS Rebel T3i, Nikon D600, Sony Alpha SLT - A77, Canon EOS 5D and Nikon D3200.

I am interested in doing mostly portrait, landscape, microscope/zoomed and low light photos.

I am also looking into which lenses are best to start off with for these types of photos.

Any suggestions?

Your low light requirement eliminates entry level cameras. You list the Canon 5D which is not an entry level camera however the 5D Mk III is excellent in low light as is the 6D which is what I have. Unlike some folk here I prefer to buy the best camera (expensive) camera I can afford. The 6D often comes with a 24-105mm kit lens which will meet many but not all of your requirements. You may require a wide angle lens for close quarters indoor and for landscapes. I use the Sigma 12-24mm. I know nothing about microscope/zoomed work. The 6D also requires a flash unit. If you plan to shoot video then I recommend the Canon 320EX because it comes with a video light.

Such equipment is quite expensive and, for the inexperienced, will come with a steep learning curve. The 6D does have an automatic mode as well as many, many other modes. Canon's web site:

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS 6D

has several videos to help a novice get started with their camera. I know most folks recommend starting out with an entry level camera. I did that, based on many recommendations, and I ended up hating the camera. I just couldn't get it to do what I wanted. I moved up to the best, most expensive small frame (APSC) camera available and life was a lot better. I'm the sort of person who prefers to grow into the camera so to speak rather than spend money on progressively more complex cameras as my skill set and demands increase. Buying an inexpensive entry level camera then having to buy another camera several months later is a waste of time and money, at least it was for me. There's plenty of help here and on the flicker forums if you need any.

I would suggest a pentax K-5, it's a solid, weather sealed camera with a nice intuitive menus and controls, and the body can be had for around $600 now leaving enough left over for some really nice glass.

Most reactions

Back