Suggestions for a new camera

Cool thanks guys. ac12 I've actually just spent the day browsing MFT's and I'm probably going to head that route. I'm really liking the Olympus OM-D EM5 ii paired with the Olympus M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 pro. Seems like a very well liked body and lens, and they're both rain, dust and freezing proof, which is superb.

m43 has a 2x crop factor, so the 12-40 would have a similar field of view as a 24-80 on a 35mm film camera.

Yep I understand how it works. I've managed to do some digging on Amazon, and since I'm 5 minutes from the border here I'd be able to get everything bought and shipped to a Ship it Shop on the New York side for about $1500 CAD. Which is great, because it leaves me with $500 for some other goodies.

Coming from film the 2x crop factor is pretty unappealing to be honest, but for the reduced size and weather proofing it seems like a compromise I can live with. Maybe grab a Rokinon 12mm to try and get some starry night skies up in the hills at f/2.0.

I'm just really a fan of how confident Olympus is with the weather proofing, and with the type of excursions I do that would be extremely beneficial, not having to worry about moisture seeping in.

Don't forget the batteries.
I have no idea what you will need for a multi day hike with the EM5 ii.
For my EM1-mk1, I went with the estimate of using 1 to 1-1/2 batteries a day (still only, no video), and bought 2 spares for my upcoming vacation. I "hope" to be able charge everything every night.
The problem with the early mirrorless is that the used a small battery, so that they could make the camera small. BUT a mirrorless uses as much or more power than a dslr, so you really need a BIG battery. I understand that some of the latest mirrorless finally got that right with a bigger battery.

Right. I have a small solar panel I use during the summer months and a backup wireless charger for miscellaneous electronics (mostly in case I need to charge my phone or if I'm using an emergency locator). But I'll definitely need to look into the battery capabilities. I was planning on getting 2 spares as well, and hope with a wireless charger and small solar panel that would suffice. I don't shoot video either. I'll look into both spare batteries or seeing what holds more power maybe a larger wireless charger unit and keep rotating 2 camera batteries.

Thanks for the help.

Cool thanks guys. ac12 I've actually just spent the day browsing MFT's and I'm probably going to head that route. I'm really liking the Olympus OM-D EM5 ii paired with the Olympus M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 pro. Seems like a very well liked body and lens, and they're both rain, dust and freezing proof, which is superb.

m43 has a 2x crop factor, so the 12-40 would have a similar field of view as a 24-80 on a 35mm film camera.

Yep I understand how it works. I've managed to do some digging on Amazon, and since I'm 5 minutes from the border here I'd be able to get everything bought and shipped to a Ship it Shop on the New York side for about $1500 CAD. Which is great, because it leaves me with $500 for some other goodies.

Coming from film the 2x crop factor is pretty unappealing to be honest, but for the reduced size and weather proofing it seems like a compromise I can live with. Maybe grab a Rokinon 12mm to try and get some starry night skies up in the hills at f/2.0.

I'm just really a fan of how confident Olympus is with the weather proofing, and with the type of excursions I do that would be extremely beneficial, not having to worry about moisture seeping in.

Don't forget the batteries.
I have no idea what you will need for a multi day hike with the EM5 ii.
For my EM1-mk1, I went with the estimate of using 1 to 1-1/2 batteries a day (still only, no video), and bought 2 spares for my upcoming vacation. I "hope" to be able charge everything every night.
The problem with the early mirrorless is that the used a small battery, so that they could make the camera small. BUT a mirrorless uses as much or more power than a dslr, so you really need a BIG battery. I understand that some of the latest mirrorless finally got that right with a bigger battery.

Right. I have a small solar panel I use during the summer months and a backup wireless charger for miscellaneous electronics (mostly in case I need to charge my phone or if I'm using an emergency locator). But I'll definitely need to look into the battery capabilities. I was planning on getting 2 spares as well, and hope with a wireless charger and small solar panel that would suffice. I don't shoot video either. I'll look into both spare batteries or seeing what holds more power maybe a larger wireless charger unit and keep rotating 2 camera batteries.

Thanks for the help.

A solar panel. How COOL is that :icon_thumleft:
I was thinking you had to haul all the batteries you need for the entire hike :(
Man I feel ancient now.

That's a very nice combo and should do you well.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back