Suggestions for an every day bag?

giddonah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First, I love the actual critiques you guys give instead of blowing smoke like they do on the photo.net "critiques". Bravo.

Ok, on to my problem:
I currently use a basic North Face backpack. Black, small mesh pockets on the sides, small organizer pocket inside the main compartment. Pretty basic, but it works. Not well though.
I normally carry:
A couple magazines, some papers, lunch (tupperware thing, can of V8 maybe), a very small umbrella, Rebel2000 w/battery pack & 50mm, 420ex in its case, Checkbook, spare roll of film, miscelaneous small crap...

Obviously, I'm not really protecting my camera that well. I'd like get something that will work better. I've been looking at:
S_F-Rover-AW_2.jpg

Not sure about fitting 11" papers in it, and not easy access to camera.
stealth_equip.jpg

Again, not to easy to get to the camera, but this is looking pretty good.
zsdtam15749xx_z.jpg

This looks pretty cool, quick access to the camera...ganna have to ditch that lame logo though.

I like to have my camera on me, but I think I need to do something better since I'll probably be carrying some more&better lenses soon. I'd rather not look like a photojournalist if I can help it. I was wondering what some of you do for everyday bags? Is there another option I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Have a look at the Lowepro Orion Trekker. http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/trekking/oriontrk.htm

It's similar to the first one you have shown (Rover AW II). It's a little smaller and probably more affordable.

Either of these bags would seem to fit what you want. Regular storage space with dedicated camera storage.

I have seen similar style bags from other manufacturers as well.

giddonah said:
First, I love the actual critiques you guys give instead of blowing smoke like they do on the photo.net "critiques". Bravo.

There's plenty of smoke blowin' going on around here too :wink: , but no one ever gets as nasty as they can at photo.net :D

I saw the Tamrac velocity 9 ( last one ) a few months ago. Its a pretty neat design but I don't think it has the space you need. Pretty much the size and accessibility of a shoulder back but the comfort of a back pack.

I personally use a Tamrac Expedition 5:

5275m.jpg

Its one of tamrac's medium sized back packs. The main compartment has enough padded storage to fit my entire eos system which consists of 2 bodies, 4 small lenses, and a very large zoom. My tripod is usually strapped to the outside. The other compartment is an unpadded compartment that is large enough for a daylunch, small umbrella, magazines...etc... I also have a medium lens case that attaches the side which is generally used to carry a water bottle. Camera equipment gets VERY heavy very quickly... make sure you get very well padded shoulder pads, chest strap, and waste strap. fully loaded, its heavy. Its more space than you need for now, but you can easily reconfigure the inside to fit your umbrella and other misc things and provides room to grow.

The main compaint I have against backpacks in general is that they make it difficult to get to your equipment quickly. As for looks, it does look like a regular back pack with the exception that its doesn't "hang" like one. The padding on the inside makes it look always packed tight ( as if ready to be displayed on some store shelf ) even empty. If you have a laptop, I believe Tamrac makes a similar version with a padded laptop compartment too.

On most of my lighter day trips, I use a lowepro shoulder bag and a small cheap back pack. Should bag makes it easier to get to equipment and the back pack carries the stuff. On other days, its just the backpack with a camera+lens in a zoom neoprene pouch for protection. Just other options you should consider that are easier on your wallet.

I've never seen anyone get nasty on photo.net. I've seen some crappy pictures get rave reviews. I've never seen anyone make any constructive comment on their site, although I do like reading the equipment reviews.

usayit: That pack looks awesome, but a little much for what I need. I wish I could put it to work. The thing is, I work in nyc and I'm looking for more of a backpack that's got something for a camera than a camera bag that's got something for papers. I was considering just getting hard cases for the individual pieces, but I don't think I can get a hard case for a R2000 w/battery pack. The lenses are no problem, hard cases and soft cases all over the place, and the flash already has a case. Maybe I'll just get a hard case with the next lens I buy and just throw a fleece in there for some padding. I think I'll have to go to B&H and see how big the velocity9 is.

With the amount of time I've put into this, you'd think I was marrying the bag :roll:

Funny... thats the backpack I used when I did work in the city ( commuting via train from NNJ ). Reconfigured it to hold my camera+zoom, CD player, PDA, laptop, books, and papers in manila folders on the outside non-padded compartment. One of my large lens cases ended up carrying my lunch. A medium lens case became a water bottle holder. Instead of a tripod, I had a medium sized umbrella. Its been through a few rain storms and still everything was kept dry. Worked great and the padding protected everything. There's a smaller version of the same packpack that should also fit paper and another specifically for laptops.

My second choice back when I was shopping was the Orion Trekker ( still gets a thumbs up from me ) and a couple lesser brands with similar designs. They basically had a top compartment and bottom compartment. I ended up deciding that it was not as versatile as I would like. Rather than having 1 large protective reconfigurable compartment you had two smaller compartments with one unpadded. I also didn't like the idea placing heavy text books/laptops on top of the compartment that housed my camera.

Good luck... either way... you really can't go wrong... all good products. Funny... at the time of purchase, I thought it was too much camera bag for me.... but then my system grew into it.

I have that Lowepro pictured at the top. It'll do everything you mentioned you want it to do and then some. The only things I can say about it in the negative are that first, your stuff is not exactly available 'on the fly'. It's a whole process of taking the pack off, getting to the bottom compartment and what not. Not a hassle, just more time consuming than most shoulder bags. No big deal as long as you're not in a hurry.

Second, the bottom compartment does not fit a "pro SLR with 80-200mm f/2.8 attached" as advertised. A Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 ED has a hard time fitting in all by itself. It fits mind you, but one inch bigger and it's poking through the top compartment.

I've been using it now for a few months and I love it for its versatility. Fits everything I own as I swap things around depending on what I'm in the mood to shoot with. An experienced backpacker would have a few things to say about the fit over a long haul but I never go more than a few miles with it fully loaded. The mesh side pockets can hold pretty good sized water bottles but not enough to be out all day (at least here in AZ)

I got this backpack many monthes ago and it's awesome. there is a vent system to keep the pack off of your back and an attached rain cover that hids away nicely. it also has a spot to attach yer tripod. very Strong too. I took a tumble trying to get to places that was not made for man to go and my camera survived - my knees, hands, and elbows didn't though ...OUCH!!!

http://www.adorama.com/catlite.tpl?op=large_image&sku=NUK9BK.jpg

Most reactions

Back