Suggestions for Camera bags

RichieTang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.notrevuephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone I am new here, so sorry if I am doing something wrong; just let me know! I would love some insight as to what camera bag to get. I will be leaving the country for several years (but travelling with nothing but a backpack and a suitcase), and plan on doing many weekend excursions as well as week long excursions.

My equipment is as follows:
Canon t2i
Canon 24-105 F4 IS
Canon 50mm F1.8
Canon 70-200 F2.8

I am looking for a camera bag. As far as I know, I am looking for something with these requirements:

1. Can be brought as a carry-on
2. Waterproof or has waterproof net
3. would be nice to have add. sd card compartment, room for charger, 11 or 13 inch laptop (purchasing this based on bag), and other accessories.
4. strap for a small tripod.

What I am really concerned with is whether to get a large bag that has two compartments: one for clothes, and one for camera equipment, or to get a bag for each purpose (trekking bag + a smaller camera bag). Insight + suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

RichieTang

EDIT:

After reading the suggestions, I am deciding have a first decision.

If i go for a single backpack, I am considering LoweproRover Pro 45L AW Backpack

Lowepro Rover Pro 45L AW Backpack LP36448-PWW B&H Photo Video

If I want two seperate, I will probably get a multi-day backpack (suggestions welcomed, although I realize this isn't the forum for that), and a shoulder bag which I have yet to make up my mind. I am also thinking of getting a camera insert, then rig it with a shoulder strap so it can fit comfortably in my pack, but also be used by itself if I have a place to leave my pack behind.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Thinktank bags... not affiliated with them or anything, but their products are thoughtfully designed, rugged and versatile. I've tried a variety of bags, and find that a dedicated backpack with a laptop pouch is ideal. I don't personally like bags with extra storage as they are too cumbersome (for me).

Camera Backpack for Professionals: Browse Backpack DSLR Camera Bags

I just bought a Lowepro vertex 200AW, and while it may be overkill, I just want to say I love the quality of the bag. Built tough and well, and very comfortable(even when fully packed). You could always look at the Vertex 100AW, or they have smaller bags as well. I also love my Domke F2 (it's not waterproof), and am only selling it because I'd rather have the backpack. A great little bag that I've used in many situations and even as a carry on.

Best,
Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you first need to decide what type of bag you want. Backpack, sling bag, shoulder bag. Big backpack, little backpack. Tripod capable or not. Chances are you will have to make some compromises here, because if you get something massive to hold all your stuff in, it will just be a pain in the ass to travel with.
I have done plenty of backpacking, and I always have my main backpack with my clothes etc in it, this backpack has a smaller backpack as part of it that can be removed. My camera goes in a smallish Lowepro shoulder bag, which is big enough to fit my camera, 2 lenses, battery, cards, portable hard drive plus other small stuff like keys and money and passport. The camera bag is something that never leaves my sight when I'm travelling (except for that time in Amsterdam when I got really high and wandered off without it.... anyway I digress).
I like this system because I can have my big backpack on and the shoulder bag as well, they don't interfere with each other and the weight isn't too great to get around with. If I'm checked into a hostel I can leave my main backpack and take the smaller daypack out on excursions as well as the camera bag.

Fokker, I was originally thinking to have one large backpack with a second compartment that is tripod capable. I thought this setup would be a lot more comfortable to travel with. However, after thinking about it perhaps having a shoulder bag would be easier so that I can leave behind everything else.

For my needs, I try to be as inconspicuous as possible. No gear that screams 'expensive camera gear inside' or anything like that. So far, my 4 red-ring lenses are all black. Far less conspicuous than white.

So, my solution has been to get a camera insert
Amazon.com: Ciesta Flexible Camera Insert Partition for DSLR SLR Lens (Brown / Large): Camera & Photo
and put that into a cheapo Walmart carry-on size tote bag with pouches at each end and on one side. I've tried a couple of 'real' camera bags with inserts, various bags with everything in Lowepro cases, and even just loose among some clothing while travelling. I'm also a cheapskate. Why pay lots of money to advertise what you're carrying.

On the other hand, I've also considered Pacsafe bags with/without their camera inserts. Waterproof and looks to be theftproof as well.
Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products | products

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Another option - I've been using a LowePro Nova 17L for a couple months now (won it in a contest, if you can believe it). The bag itself is nice -- typically well-built & functional -- but I've been finding myself really digging the removable insert. For winter hiking, I've been pulling the insert and loading it with gear and then dropping it into the top of my day-pack. The nice thing about this is that I can use the same insert in the Nova bag, or my day pack, or even my big backpack for "real" backpacking.

I wrote up a short preview w/ pictures here, and there's a photo of the insert w/ my day pack here.

I used to love lowepro bags but seen two suddenly break and drop in the same way (cheap straps), which put me off a bit. Would recommend, if you got a decent strap, though.

Very interesting. About the only thing I don't like about that bag is the strap -- specifically, the connectors where it hooks onto the bag. Something in that mechanism is squeaking.

I personally find it helpful to have a couple of different camera bags depending upon where I'm going. Sometimes, all I need is the camera, a lens, tripod or other times I travel and need everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One would hope that after two years he OP would have found a bag that he could use.

zombie_thread.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back