I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for a new ball head. I've been into some stores and I'm in love with the smoothness of the Gitzo ball heads. They just feel so much better than the Manfrotto heads I've seen. They tend to cost about twice as much though.

I've also read great things about Arcatech, but I don't think I've ever seen one in-person. Also, quite expensive.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience to share?

I have a gitzo and love it. The Really Right Stuff head I am not happy with at all. The Vanguard head I had was a POS. Have yet to try a monfroto. I have friends who swear by their Arca Swiss heads.

I have a manfrotto ball head and a manfrotto pan head. love the pan head best.
i havent tried any other brands yet, but i have been considering getting a quickgrip (pistol grip?) head and trying it out.

A few years ago, I did a bunch of research on tripod heads. I dug back into it again today...and man, it is ever a trip down the rabbit hole.

There is a whole world of high end, high quality tripods, heads and accessories. Most of us have heard of Manfrotto and consider them a quality brand, but they are barely even mentioned when it comes to high end gear.

It seems that a starting price for a (smaller) high quality ball head is around $300, and if you want a quick release clamp and plates, that is extra. It's not uncommon to run across $500 ball heads, and there are some that are A LOT more expensive. Of course, when you're 'only' using a large DSLR and 'only' a 70-200mm F2.8, you probably don't need an $1800 ball head, but the option is there.

When I go to the local stores, they carry Manfrotto and some cheaper brands. Some will have the Gitzo ball heads, which look and feel like a Cadillac compared to the Manfrotto. And yet, I'm seeing that Gitzo doesn't even have that great of a reputation among the elite brands.

Last time I was thinking about a new kit, I felt that I couldn't afford what I really wanted, so I put it off. Now I'm back in the same place...looking at $500 ball heads and trying to justify it.

I wish I could go into B&H and try them all.

Depends on what you want the head to be best for. I have an older, now discontinued Gitzo magnesium ballhead in their "classic center ball design",and is has three small,round locking knobs...I loathe it. It's lightweight, well-made, silky smooth, and--the three locking knobs are a PITA. One for rotational axis...a second for tension...a third to lock the head. Just wayyyy too many instances of confusion, and loosening the wrong knob. When the camera is tilted , or the head is turned, the position of the controls shifts.

I had an old Bogen Heavy Duty Ball Head, the 3055 I believe was the catalog number, for 20 years or so...I actually preferred it to any other ballhead I've ever used. http://www.keh.com/camera/Tripods-Tripod-Heads/1/sku-TR429990044690?r=FE Why? TWO controls...one for rotation, the lower level, and ONE CONTROL for locking, the upper lever. Unlike with the older Gitzo, with the Manfrotto, "upper" and "lower" always,always,always stay consistent.

With the Gitzo, its three identically-sized, identically colored, identically designed, identical-in-fit-finish-and-feel control knobs mean that tension and lock are ALWAYS at risk of being confused when making an adjustment while looking through the camera. And of course, the rotation knob lock is also identical. I see that the NEW Gitzos in that series have done away with that type of messed up system.

I think for portraiture and things like that, the FEWER controls to run the ballhead, the better it works. ANd so, I would look for a minimalist, lever-tytpe locking system, at least for people picture work. I'd probably look for an entirely different type of head for studio work or landscape work. SO, as with tripods, the choice of head depends on the area you want it to be best at.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back