Suggestions please ??

ladycop322

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good evening! I am new to this forum and have been a professional photographer for some time now...can anyone give me some advice on what type of lens to use for newborn and infant/child photography? I shoot with Nikons....wedding photography is my specialty however I want to branch off and take photographs of babies! Any comments would be greatly appreciated...thank you all so much...:blushing:

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think you need any specific lenses for babies/infants. If you don't already have a lens that can get fairly close up, that might be a consideration if you want to shoot close ups of hands/feet etc.

Which nikon body are you using? There really isn't a specific lens to use for newborns or child photography, but you should use fast glass, especially with children. Newborns are simpler since they don't move as much, but children do not stay still so a faster lens will allow you to maintain a faster shutter speed. The 85mm 1.4 is a great lens to use if your using a FX body and produces incredible bokeh. I've done some newborn shots before and used a 24-70 f/2.8 for 90% of the shots.

To add to the above there is no set lens or shooting method to specify unless there is a specific look to the images you are hoping to produce. If there is a certain appearance to the shots you want to produce then if you could show us samples of these (eg a link to a website showcasing someones work you wish to emulate) we might be able to direct you toward a certain lighting and lens setup that might help you achive that end result.

If you're shooting full-frame then a 85mm f1.4 (or 1.8 if $$ is tight). If you're shooting a crop-sensor, then a 50mm f1.4 is a good choice.

Combine that with a 70-200mm f2.8 which you likely already have.

I agree with a close-up (macro) lens to use in addition to what you probably already have.

It is a somewhat strange question imo. The only reason I am saying that is that the question feels 'gear-centric' (I just made up a word), where as the answer is more contingent upon the type of photography you are looking to take. I would imagine people want the highest quality lenses they can afford, but after that, the answer lies in the type of photography which is made up of: lighting, depth of field, blurring or freezing action, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back