suggestions...

Please explain what is wrong with discussions of a personal nature that may have been introduce by way of the posted photograph?? Like where the the shot was taken....Maybe I've been there and it's refreshing to share an experience with the poster or any one who joins in. It seems relevant to the subject at hand.

Explain......

In my Color Photography class at school, our critiques were very easy going, talkative, friendly chats. They would often spiral far off topic, without hope of recovery. They were fun as hell, but I always felt like I was one of the few who was really there for the photography, and not the conversation. I wanted to learn as much as I could. I still want to. I'll never stop. For me, photography is a passion. For many people, it is a hobby, or an interest. There is nothing wrong with that. I think this forum caters to that exact sort of photographer. There are lots of areas to casually learn about photography and share photos. The one thing the forum really lacked was a place to have serious discussion of photos, without distraction from the photo itself, and it's merits or faults.

If you want a serious examination of your photograph, free of distraction from the objective, then the new critique forums are for you. If you find this kind of discussion oppressive, then by all means, don't subject yourself to it. It's certainly not going to be for everyone. In order to maintain it at this level, it absolutely must be moderated however.

I'm not sure there will ever be an answer that everyone will go along with. People see photography differently and I'm not sure that this or any other forum can be all things to all people.

I should have added that there is a seperate but large number of semi pro and full time freelance photographers who visit this site. A serious photographer who makes a living from photography in a small town might or might not be interested in an in depth critique by the 'experts'. But they are still serious photographers.

A serious photographer who makes a living from photography in a small town might or might not be interested in an in depth critique by the 'experts'. But they are still serious photographers.

You keep talking about this 'expert' thing as if those of us who post or respond in the critique forum consider ourselves experts. You are acting in a strangely hostile manner.

What I, and others, were looking for was a place where strings of attaboys and threadjacking is not allowed, where the attention is on the picture and people are asked to respond to it.

I have posted several pictures, in an attempt to support the new forum, and have replied to most, if not all, of the posted threads also in an attempt to support the Forum.

I am happy with the responses I got, both positive and negative, because it showed that people are actually thinking about the pictures past a surface reaction.

I don't mind if you don't participate. What I do respond to is your attempting to sabotage the effort by labeling it as an elitist effort - only because you don't agree and don't want to or can't participate.

I don't mind if you don't participate. What I do respond to is your attempting to sabotage the effort by labeling it as an elitist effort - only because you don't agree and don't want to or can't participate.
I'm sorry you feel suggestions I make are attempting to sabotage your baby. Are you in fact saying i'm not allowed to have a different opinion and to express it. You are the one who used the word elitist I'm not....

I'm sorry you feel suggestions I make are attempting to sabotage your baby. Are you in fact saying i'm not allowed to have a different opinion and to express it. You are the one who used the word elitist I'm not....

Absolutely not. Have your opinion.

Just express it in a straightforward way rather than these backdoor insinuations, implying but never stating.
Don't be hostile to the effort and then beg off by saying you were trying to be funny.

And its not my baby. I was asked to participate, didn't like the result and have been as honestly critical of the outcome as anyone. But I am doing my best to participate to make it better. I am not sitting back somewhere dispensing homey witticisms as if I knew the best of everything.

I'm not even sure what it is you do want, except you don't want this forum, maybe because you don't want to be part of it.

Are there any serious photographers here able to ignore irrelevent comments in critique threads?

Shall I change the wording and say "grown-up"?

I had been enjoying the critique threads as well as the general tone, blissfully unaware of the nasty undercurrents...
Suddenly...JACKBOOTS everywhere!

Well, come on! To a newbie here, but no stranger to forums, this looks like terrible...and a big turn-off.

To be honest...it looks like one individual was responsible for this getting out of hand. I´m sure I don´t need to point him out...his beloved stamp is burned all over the threads in question.

There are some rules there...of debatable intent, but if people were more or less allowed to contribute, anything unnecessary or off-topic could and should be able to be ignored.
That´s the beauty of a forum.
If anyone is out of line, they could be warned or pm´d, just like in other civilized forums...so where´s the problem?

Perhaps if the critique section was OPENED up...made more lenient rather than tighter!!!...and more people felt welcome...then we might ALL learn something. Those who are learning can also have their say, dopey or not, and will get a response which could help them to learn how to critique too.

The result would be a lot more friendly and democratic etc.

Deanimator, we have many sections where unnecessary or off-topic conversation is allowed. This is one specific section. It is not a new site-wide policy. You haven't been here long enough to know what happened with the previous critique forum. This new version is not something that a few people dreamed up overnight. It is a much needed redesign of a failing system, and it was made clear by the forum at large that something new was needed. Again, I stress that you can get critiques in an open environment in just about every other photo section of the forum. This is a specific forum with a specific intent, and it's obviously not for everyone.

You know what I wrote a couple of hundred words and didn't even get close to what I feel about that. So I'm just going to say you are entitled to YOUR opinion and I to mine.

I will express mine as long as they allow it on this forum. If they choose to ban me that is just fine. If they choose to close a thread I start that is fine to. It is not my forum I have no control over that, but as long as they don't, I intend to voice my opinion as I see fit. The best way to stop me if for no one to read it. Since at least a few do, I assume someone IS interested in what I have to say in my down home way. Sorry about that..

...You haven't been here long enough to know what happened with the previous critique forum....
Clearly...but this should not be of concern to any new member...who is confronted by what is going on right now.

...It is a much needed redesign of a failing system, and it was made clear by the forum at large that something new was needed...
I certainly hope there will be a further re-design.

Let me say this one thing more....

THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD WAS TO MAKE SUGGESTIONS... IT WAS NOT MEANT TO ATTACK THE SYSTEM OR THAT ANYONE FELT THE NEED TO DEFEND THE SYSTEM HERE.. THERE ARE OTHER THREADS GOING ON FOR THAT. HERE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT ANSWERS THAT WAS MY INTENTION.

I am sorry to see that didn't happen. And I'm as guilty as anyone for it going astray.

attempting to sabotage the effort by labeling it as an elitist effort - only because you don't agree and don't want to or can't participate.

No one want to sabotage the thread, the point of this thread is to provide suggestions.

In my Color Photography class at school......

Matt, as much as I respect your and other's opinions....this is not a class room. I truly believe the thread has become much too serious in nature and direction. When does it become enjoyable to participate for all members of the forum? Moderating with a stamp is downright offensive! And what is the purpose of strangling any thoughts connected to the photos. I for one am here to learn through communications, communications on any level.

Come on guys....be reasonable, we not all professionals, but we may have something worth saying and learning beyond hard cold facts.

There is a member on this forum who's credentials are most formidable, I direct your attention to this thread. Please read you'll find my reference....

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86039&page=2

Was this gentleman consulted regarding input for the newly created threads.....if not why not????

I would happily carry this man's bags anywhere, anytime to any photographic shoot he has even the slightest interest in!!!

After reading his "resume" are you sure you know what to do with that strange looking box with glass attached and buttons to push????

There is a member on this forum who's credentials are most formidable, I direct your attention to this thread. Please read you'll find my reference....

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86039&page=2

Was this gentleman consulted regarding input for he newly created threads.....if not why not????

I would happily carry this man's bags anywhere, anytime to any photographic shoot he has even the slightest interest in!!!

After reading his "resume" are you sure you know what to do with that strange looking box with glass attached and buttons to push????

I do hope you meant hertz.....that link leads to a lot of posts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back