Summer Time Daisies

Joel_W

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got out Sunday for a few hours at the Byard Cutting Arboretum with my long time photography buddy, best friend, who also happens to be my twin brother of 64 years, and a great photographer in his own right. The weather conditions for a change were absolutely perfect. Little to no wind, cloudy, and on the cool side. It was unbelievable to be out, and not have to deal with strong, contrasty light as I hugged the shade and shadows. Ok, so it only lasted for like 2 hours when good old Mother nature decided that we've had enough of the good times, and a light but steady rain started.

I did manage to shoot several series of various varieties of flowers that I enjoy so much. Here's a nice set of summer time Daisies. Out of the dozens I shot, I got it down to 7 pictures.

Hope you enjoy them, and thanks for stopping by.

$RYHTWF0 by joelwillstein, on Flickr

$R1O9KP7 by joelwillstein, on Flickr

$RYHTK30 by joelwillstein, on Flickr

$RUGAH1W by joelwillstein, on Flickr

$R1W98TF by joelwillstein, on Flickr

$R0QZ7GE by joelwillstein, on Flickr

$RZ4OUP4 by joelwillstein, on Flickr

I LOVE #3, what great colors and composition! Wish there was little more of the guy in the upper right, and lower right, but that's a minor quibble.

Great job.

Nice set Joel, gorgeous soft light! How nice to get out with your brother!

The only gripe I have is on 3 and 5. I think both would work better in portrait orientation. The unopened ones in 3 are wonderful but they are lost in the crowd, they are creating a nice draw through the picture but it feels like it is too cramped. On 5 I like the different colour of the unopened one but my eye isn't led into the picture it just lands and stays there, perhaps the leading lines of the stems in portrait would balance it more.

CMfromIL, thanks so much for the kind words. If you're reffering to those small bugs, I actually have one decent bug shot I was planning on posting later on.

Judy, thanks for stopping by and having a look. It sure was nice to work in that soft light for a change. I'm not a big fan of the Portrait view for florals, but I do try it every so often. I think the real issue is that the vertical position of my camera and looking through the adjusted Nikon DR-6 right angle viewfinder, has me standing on the side not looking at the subject. It's somewhat un-natural, so I avoid it like the plaque.

Not sure it would work with #3, but certainly with #5 I should have gone that route. Next time out later this week, I'll make a note of it, and yes, I do carry a small pad for notes and reminders. #5 was tough for me. I really liked the two mature flowers with the immature floral lower and in between. The stems bothered me with their strong vertical lines, but I couldn't figure out a way to deal with them since the bud prevented me from cropping them out, so I just left it as it was. With picture #6, I cropped it so that it was more a panorama and almost no stem. And that seemed to work for me.

BTW, I don't remember if I posted this or not, but I've worked with my Walmart white umbrella twice now, and both times I found that the fabric is just a little to dense, and doesn't let enough light through. I'm going to see about buying a silk umbrella or portable diffuser instead.

I've got a few more sets to post throughout the week, and as usual, I'm looking forward to your insight and comments.

I'm glad you tried the umbrella finally! I've been watching for white ones when I'm out and about and that is good to know, I'll def watch for light silk.

I'm glad you tried the umbrella finally! I've been watching for white ones when I'm out and about and that is good to know, I'll def watch for light silk.

I guess you found out how hard it is to actually find a plain white umbrella these days. I'm hoping that I'll find a local camera store that has a discontinued or floor model they're willing to part with for a discounted price. I figure that the umbrella will get dirty, soiled, and God only knows what on it, so it's life time won't be measured in years unless they're actually cleanable.

Yes! what is up with that? I was lamenting to my husband one day about not being able to find one and he says what do you mean? I have two white umbreallas in the trunk of the car? ... I run out all excited to check them out.... they were clear lol

Yes! what is up with that? I was lamenting to my husband one day about not being able to find one and he says what do you mean? I have two white umbreallas in the trunk of the car? ... I run out all excited to check them out.... they were clear lol

Ha ha. that's pretty funny. But to guys clear is like white, which is like any other color besides black. I guess white just isn't in these days. When we no longer what that color, it will come back in vogue.

Joel,

The Umbrella is a good idea... but I usually use one of these :Amazon.com: Lastolite LL LR3651 30'' TriGrip 1 Stop Diffuser: Electronics

There are also some inexpensive combo type reflectors that have a diffuser option also....Amazon.com: Fotodiox 42" 5-in-1 Reflector Pro, Premium Grade Collapsible Disc, Soft Silver/Gold/Black/White/Diffuser: Electronics

I haven't tried them.. so not sure if they throw color or not, but might be worth a try. You can also get mounts for them so they can hook to a stand if needed. (Probably better than an umbrella... which would have totally unknown material)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Charlie, I really like that Lastolite diffuser. I'm going to look into it. It just maybe the perfect solution to my contast lighting problems.

Thanks from me also for the links, after using the posterboard as a reflector in those prom pictures my mind is racing on how to use them in my other shots ;)

Useful tools! :)

Most reactions

Back