Summit School, Plumas County, CA

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This building was constructed in the 1860s and was part of a small settlement named Summit. The building was later moved to this location in 1894. It's approximately 32 miles NW of Reno, NV. It's surrounded by ranch and farm land that makes up Long Valley.

We are in the 4th year of a drought, so it was quite a site to see the rain sweeping toward this old school. Alas, it went as quickly as it arrived. Just a half mile down the road, a crop sprinkling system made up for the failed promise the clouds brought.

Nikon D810, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD at 38mm, f/11, 1/1000-1/500-1/250s (3exp. HDR), ISO 200, hand-held. [note: I removed all the power lines (and telephone/TV cable), so I don't know how the light stayed on. ;)]
summit-school1504-01-x1080.jpg

Nikon D810, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD at 44mm, f/11, 1/400s, ISO 200, hand-held.
long-valley1504-08-x1080.jpg

Your C&C welcome.

Jim

Nice shots.

I like old buildings and rain so really like the first, can't decide if I like the road or not but it does give a nice sense of place.

Irrigation is what I spend a lot of time taking pictures of, so I also like your shot of the center pivot with the end gun. I would have included the full stream of water from the end-gun and have the pivot point slightly closer to the left side of the frame.

Love the house. Fields are also interesting.

I like the lighting but fault the composition.
IMO the front of the school is to close to the left edge of the frame making the composition feel heavy on the left and unbalanced.
I might have been better to have framed the shot with less space behind the small back building and more space at the front of the school.

If it were me I would also probably dodge and burn the clouds some.

I like the content of the second one. Made me think for a second what I was looking at.

I like the school itself nice shot. And the field is interesting.

Most reactions

Back