Sun is Rising on Great Falls #2

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Same Sunday morning, but this time I didn't do the long exposure. I loved the color in the skies with the blues and reds. Not so much of the smoothing of the water this time as I thought the texture would add to the texture of the skies. Enjoy
ISO 100
1/4s
F/11
AP at 19mm of 17-50 Sigma

20140119 GreatFalls Va 008 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

Continuing on with my Great Falls waterfalls from last Sunday in Virginia. Did a little vertical captures to show how beautiful the sky was with the clouds as the sun continued to rise. Compare to my picture #1, you can still see the pinks and purples in the clouds, but now as the sun has come up more, we get more of the blues in the sky. (CPL filter was used)
ISO 100
F/11
AP at 25mm of 17-50 Sigma

20140119 GreatFalls Va 020 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

Hard to choose a favorite, both are wonderful!
I think the 2nd one has an edge for me as I like the 'pool' of water coloring better, but wait, I like the rock colors of #1, geez,
Greay shots,
Nancy

wow, nice shots. cant believe I didn't know about this place, just west of D.C. need to plan a trip there asap (I am in Annapolis)

You mean an hour East? Great Falls is just West of D.C. ;)

The water level is pretty good right now for the Fall/Winter. However come Spring time, the water is can be up over the rocks so you lose some of the enjoyment of the landscape.

I misread, thought you were saying you lived just west of DC, and i was like silly, great falls IS just west. :)

Those are beautiful Trblmkr! Did you capture these shots as they are with the different filters/settings like you mentioned or did you manipulate them with an editing program as well? I would love to know how you captured these as they are so beautiful! Forgive me if I sound naive as I do not quite know all the photography lingo as of yet.

Those are beautiful Trblmkr! Did you capture these shots as they are with the different filters/settings like you mentioned or did you manipulate them with an editing program as well? I would love to know how you captured these as they are so beautiful! Forgive me if I sound naive as I do not quite know all the photography lingo as of yet.

Shawie thank you very much for the compliment. To answer your question, only picture #2 had any filter on it and that was just a circular polarizing filter to bring out the blues in the sky. The first picture is just shot and adjusted in Lightroom mostly using the "Basic" section (Exposure/Contrast/Highlights/Shadows/Whites/Blacks). I did use the gradient filter in Lightroom to achieve the effects I wanted with the sky since I don't own any Neutral Graduated Filters. I hope that has answered your question.

Beautiful place. To my eyes, #1 has more accurate white balance. #2 is too blue-ish. I would love to see a pano shot of this place. Great shots though. Play around with diff compositions.

Thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

Back