Sunday afternoon images

benlonghair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. After spending a portion of my day in the garden, I grabbed my camera. Here's one of the shots.

A Little Different
4612805197_91f524a19e_b.jpg

D60 | 110mm | f/10 | 1/100th | ISO 100

Click for full size.

Found this lady in an old apple tree.

Tending the Nest
4613426546_f808e66105_b.jpg

D60 | 300mm | f/5.6 | 1/50th | ISO 400

Click for full size.

And finally, something you don't see every day. This happens to be the bud of a Lady's Slipper. They're fairly rare.

Interestingly, as a member of the family Orchidaceae, their seeds lack endosperm. This makes them dependent on many varieties mycorrhizal basidiomyceteous fungi to produce the carbohydrates it needs to germinate. Here ends your biology lesson for the day.

It seems that berms of sand dropped by a recent flood near my house provides a perfect habitat for them to grow. This is just a bud, I'm keeping an eye on them for the actual flower.

Showy Lady's Slipper (Cypripedium reginae) Bud
4612808553_20d8ccb90e_b.jpg

D60 | 300mm | f/22 | 1/60th | ISO 400

Click for full size.

While we're at it, has anybody tried the new Nikon 85mm 3.5 micro?

Last edited:
Big mistake to shoot the first one at f10. You should have gone down at least to f5.6 so the background would be nicely blurred out. It would also have emphasized your subject more. Also over exposed.

You didn't shoot with the sun in your back. You almost shot against the light. The big red petal in the front is in the shade. If you would have shot with the sun in your back the petal would have popped more but of course then you may have a different background.

#2 is a nice shot. You have some aberration on the very left on the leaf. Easy to get rid of in RAW.

I get the creeps though because I have couple of birds with a nest in my front yard and they start attacking me as soon as I leave the house because they think I want to get to their babies.

#3 Sharpness looks good but you have some serious noise issue going on. I didn't know that the D60 can do that. In that case don't go higher than ISO 250 if it's always that bad. The ISO 100 image looks good.

Side note: If you post full resolution images on flickr add your watermark to it, at least a watermark!

Big mistake to shoot the first one at f10. You should have gone down at least to f5.6 so the background would be nicely blurred out. It would also have emphasized your subject more. Also over exposed.

The whole point was to not turn the other iris into one big blur. In fact, I think f/16 would have probably done the job better. The point was it was a single brown and yellow iris in a field of blue and white ones.

You didn't shoot with the sun in your back. You almost shot against the light. The big red petal in the front is in the shade. If you would have shot with the sun in your back the petal would have popped more but of course then you may have a different background.
The background was one consideration. It would have been my slightly-ugly patio. I also like having the backlit flower. But maybe I'm wrong.

#2 is a nice shot. You have some aberration on the very left on the leaf. Easy to get rid of in RAW.

I get the creeps though because I have couple of birds with a nest in my front yard and they start attacking me as soon as I leave the house because they think I want to get to their babies.
This was just a one-off shot. Nothing spectacular, since the subject isn't all that great, but I liked it.

#3 Sharpness looks good but you have some serious noise issue going on. I didn't know that the D60 can do that. In that case don't go higher than ISO 250 if it's always that bad. The ISO 100 image looks good.

Side note: If you post full resolution images on flickr add your watermark to it, at least a watermark!
Yep, I forgot to back it off ISO 400 from doing some inside shots of a renovation I was doing on Saturday. :( The D60 is pretty well useless after ISO 400.

As for full resolution, I really don't have any fear of people stealing my content, it's not good enough for anybody to make any real money with.

Thanks for the comment!

Most reactions

Back