What's new

Sunny 16...

I do have the book, but I was just curious about the sunny 16 rule since I had seen it mentioned so many times...

I normally do just use the meter but figured I would try sunny 16 since it was supposed to be a "set it and go" type thing ;)

I've been shooting in P mode a lot more recently with my kids since all i have to worry about is ISO and Exposure comp... :)
 
I normally do just use the meter but figured I would try sunny 16 since it was supposed to be a "set it and go" type thing ;)

Actually this experimentation is a good thing... there's a place and time to use all the tools. Understanding exposure (sunny 16 is one starting point) is important even though your camera has the technology to remove it from concern. I used to shoot with meterless cameras and it was a bit of a challenge that I enjoyed. Even now, the practice and knowledge is invaluable.

I wouldn't the posts "just use your camera meter" stop you from learning...

So your camera is a bit underrated for the published ISO. Fine... According to the dxomark website, your ISO 200 is closer to 160. So set your camera to ISO 200 and pretend its ISO 160 following the sunny 16 rule accordingly. Lets take your picture posted example:

* set your camera to ISO 100
* dxomark reports it closer to ISO 80.
* So pretend its ISO 80 and shoot at Tv of 1/80 with Av of f1/16 keeping the camera at ISO 100.

If subject, is under some clouds... open it up. If subject goes into the shade, open it up a 2 stops. etc... After a while, you get pretty good at eyeing exposures. I was ok but I bet I'm pretty rusty at it these days. I used to walk NYC shooting old cameras without meters all the time... Granted Film (especially B&W) is much more forgiving.

Try it out and see....




Just like using a high quality bright viewfinder went out importance with the introduction of very good AF technologies, accurate ISO also went out of importance since most use in camera metering. Higher end cameras tend to have better viewfinders and more accurate ISOs.... at of course a premium.



Of course, in the end... you do still have the camera's meter always available and no reason not to use it.
 
I haven't read everything here, and this has probably already been mentioned, but the Sunny 16 rule was always just an estimation, and not a hard and fast rule. It was a way, back in the film days, to get a pretty close exposure on a sunny, cloudless day, without having to fuss with the meter. Film (as long as you were using negative film) has a larger dynamic range than a digital sensor, and meant if you were a stop or two over or under, the exposure could likely be pushed or pulled in post to get a proper exposure. It's harder to do that in digital.

I mentioned Sunny 16 last week as an example to show why you would need to use an ND filter to slow your shutter in bright light. Since I didn't know what the proper exposure was for that person's scene, I estimated using this "rule." I would highly recommend against using the Sunny 16 rule anymore as using the meter will be faster, and more accurate.

EDIT: I just read Usayit reply above mine, and I do agree with him. Experimentation is good, and Sunny 16 can be a great way to learn about exposure. Still, in most situations your meter will do a better job estimating exposure. Like Usayit, I had been pretty good at estimating exposure, and I find myself still doing it today. It's pretty cool to look at a scene, set your camera's exposure based on what you see in manual mode, then meter it and see the 'needle' within a stop of where you set it. Of course, I only do that for fun, and in most situations, I just use the meter.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom