Sunpak PF30X Flash? Opinions?

DogGoneGood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wanting to order the Canon Speedlight, but financially I can't swing it right now. What money I do have saved for camera stuff, I want to order the 50mm 1.8 lens.

I came across this flash last night:

Amazon.com: Sunpak PF30X E-TTL II Electronic Flash Unit for Canon EOS Rebel T1i, T2i, XS, XSi, 50D, 60D, 7D & 5D Mark II, 1D, 1Ds Digital SLR Camera: Camera & Photo

Does anyone here use this flash, or have had any experience with it? It only has 3 reviews, but they're positive. I wish there were more reviews.

I will one day order the Canon Speedlight, however right now, I just want a flash for inside the house when I want to take photo's of my dogs and need more light. Something I can bounce off the ceiling or wall. I'm sure for the price, this flash has its limitations, but I want to make sure before I spend any money on it, that it at least does work semi-good.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't have experience with that flash, but I just bought a sunpak pf5000af brand new in box from ebay for $60. I am pretty impressed with it for the price, though the e-ttl doesn't work well with my 20d, it may work with whatever you have. It has much more power than the one you are looking at, the head swivels left and right as well as up and down, the flash head zooms, and it has an optical slave function. If you are totally dependent on e-ttl I'm not sure that I would recommend an aftermarket flash, as someone else here told me "they are hit or miss" as far as exposure accuracy goes.

My photog friend has that flash and he hated it. Recycle time is slow, and it stopped working after less than 100 flashes. Save your money for a 430EX II. You wont regret it.

I primarily use the YN-560's but I do own the Sunpak PF30X DigiFlash 2800 mainly for on-camera shots. For $56 it works well....again, it's up to the person to the best of their Flash. Recycle time is somewhat slow as I was able to get about 8 flashes in....wait for about 10 seconds or a bit more and startup again. Just to note if you are going the budget way, this flash does not work with the Yongnuo RF-603C transceiver.

I have a vivitar 383 that can be used ttl or as a slave I am quite happy with it's priced decent and does what I need. Got it at b&h.

Most reactions

Back