Sunpak PZ42XC

jeljohns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone have experience using this with Canon digital cameras? At $150 it is a better budget option than the Canon flash. Since I am just getting started I really can't justify spending that much on a flash right now.

I could probably swing $180, where have it seen it at that price? I've checked Amazon, Ebay, and B&H. They all list $230 and up.

Anyone have experience using this with Canon digital cameras? At $150 it is a better budget option than the Canon flash. Since I am just getting started I really can't justify spending that much on a flash right now.
This Sunpak PZ42X is compatible with Canon E-TTL EOS cameras. Not sure if it's the same thing as the PZ42XC.
I really don't think they'll get any more in stock...the 430EX is out of production and has been replaced by the 430EX II.

This Sunpak PZ42X is compatible with Canon E-TTL EOS cameras. Not sure if it's the same thing as the PZ42XC.I really don't think they'll get any more in stock...the 430EX is out of production and has been replaced by the 430EX II.
yea true. O and sorry for not doing my research, didnt know the sunpack has e-ttl lol.

I'm not sure what that means. What is the difference between e-TTL and just TTL?

What about the Canon 540 EZ? I found a used one of those for $80. I guess at this point I'm afraid to buy anything because I don't know enough about flash/my camera to know which ones would be compatible.

Do the canon flashes allow you to control them through the camera?

Last edited:
I have a limited knowledge on flashes, but enough to get by. In no means I am an expert, so heres my "weigh in".

I have the Sunpak PZ42X for Canon. I am very happy with it. The flash feels well made and sturdy on my Canon Rebel XS. I have added a battery grip which helps counter balance the weight of the flash. I have not experienced any misfires and the recycle time is very fast. I do not have any additional flashes, so can't do a full comparison.

The photo quality of the Sunpak versus the pop-up flash is astounding. The ttl does help, but I have not seen any instances where I would HAVE to have it or I am just naive to the full usage for it. If you are stuck between the PZ42X and PZ40X, I went with the PZ42X over the PZ40X because of the swivel head; whats $10 more.

Overall imo a great inexpensive flash to buy. I did a lot of research on inexpensive flashes and read a ton of reviews. The Sunpak PZ42X had a number of very good reviews on it but limited information. I would give it a "A", would have been a "A+" if there was more information on it.

I have placed a purchase on the Cactus V2s Wireless Flash Triggers to seem if they work (not too much information on the two being used together). I have received and email confirming that they should work (once again, lack of information).

Give me some time to post some pictures of the Sunpak PZ42X and the pop-up flash on the XS.

oh and the Sunpak PZ42XC stands for it is compatible with Canon, and then the Sunpak PZ42XN is for Nikon.

Thanks for the info. I would love to see your pictures using the flash. There are just SO many different brands of flash and I want to make sure I'm making a good decision. I've tried to justify the cost of a Canon flash, but at this time I just can't spend the money so I'm looking for the next best thing.

One that I've heard people like for a third party flash is a Sigma 500 super it's ttl and if I recall correctly can be used as a master. It's generally about 150 used I believe.

What about the Canon 540 EZ? I found a used one of those for $80. I

Not 100% positive. But I think the 540 EZ can ONLY work as a manual flash in the newer Canon DSLR since it do not support e-TTL.

I think my choice is between the Sigma and the Sunpak.

I also found one called [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-EF-600-EO-TTL-Digital-Camera/dp/B001GD3Z02/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1L6RLVFLDP8ZE&colid=1LBDL1JU9HWWI"]Opteka EF-600 DG Super[/ame] that looked ok. Anyone heard of that brand?

I just got my Cactus V2s wireless triggers in the mail today and tried them on. The Sunpak PZ42X works very well with them. I took about 30 or so and not one mis-fire. The flash took a little time to learn how to get the correct exposure, but I still give it an "A"!

Most reactions

Back