Sunrise at the Docks

colnago1331

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple weeks ago I finally got a nice 10-stop filter, the B+W ND 110, which cost me an arm (but not an arm and a leg :D) for the 77mm size. I dinked around with it here and there but this is the first photo that I'm close to being pleased with. It's actually an HDR using three bracketed shots. Any thoughts/comments (compliments ;) ) would be appreciated.

HooverDockTM.jpg

Beatiful colours. I personaly very like that kind of landscapes. A ND filter is on my list to buy I missed it in my last trip where even f22 didn't give me effect when water looks like milk.

I kind of like the calmness this has but I am really bothered by the fact that it's crooked...
Try straightening it in your editing software, shouldn't be hard but it will definitely improve the shot.

Judo - I don't think it's actually crooked. I used the gap lines between the dock planks as a reference and they look level to me. It's just that the far shore line isn't perfectly straight. But maybe I'm wrong there....

Judo - I don't think it's actually crooked. I used the gap lines between the dock planks as a reference and they look level to me. It's just that the far shore line isn't perfectly straight. But maybe I'm wrong there....

It definitely is crooked. A better place to judge if its lever would be water. The top of water always levels off, thats why they use liquid in levels. Level the image using the water line not from the planks.

A crooked horizon will make the image look much more crooked then a crooked dock.
If the dock is crooked while the horizon isn't that just means the dock is actually crooked (because the horizon never is), as a horizon can't be crooked it simply looks off if it is in an image. Nobody will be bothered by the fact that the dock is a bit crooked, I doubt much people will notice and it will definitely not take anything from the image. :)

Its crooked, 100% but easy to fix.

Definitely just needs to be leveled, and it's a keeper! Remember, the human eye naturally uses the horizon as point of reference for balance, so when the horizon is tilted, the viewers eye will be at odds with their brain, because their subconscious brain is going to be telling them they're tilting.. I think of it as a rule, like the rule of thirds, that the horizon should always be level, and it shouldn't be broken unless there's a specific reason.

Never trust anything man made to be level lol the guys are right but you have a awesome photo here well done ;-D

Well I stand (or rather sit) corrected! :D Thank you, all, for your help and comments, by the way. I'm certainly not above learning something new.

Here's the updated image.....

HooverDockTM.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back