Sunrise Over Potomac River

C4talyst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a noob and appreciate any feedback. I took this photo this morning with a Nikon D3100 and the 18-55mm kit lens. I was also using a Hoya NDx8 filter for the first time. I was hoping with this filter that I could get a more smooth look from the water. Even with the filter on, holding the shutter open for more than a couple seconds completely washes out the scene. I also tried turning down the EV some, but not too much.

How can I get the smooth water effect when facing the sun like this? Any other critique or suggestions about the photo are appreciated as well! I often feel like I'm not getting enough detail or sharpness with this lens, but after looking at the photos others have taken with the same setup, I know it's me and not the glass.

$Sunrise_at_Tims_July_5.jpg

snowbear

Fuzzy, wuzzy Nanuq
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
You'll probably need multiple ND filters, lowest ISO setting and a very small aperture.

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
What were your aperture and ISO settings? Ideally, you will want the lowest ISO, and a low aperture (usually between 11 and 22). Even still, there may be too much light.

OP
C4talyst

C4talyst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks for the feedback. These were my settings:

ISO 100, f/18, Exposure bias -3.3.

It never occurred to me to use multiple filters. I like landscape photography the best. Would it serve me well to get setup for those Cokin filters that slide in?

WesternGuy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nice image. I do agree that you might have to use more than one ND filter. Just watch the vignetting that's all, as I find that when I use multiple NDs for waterfalls, I get some vignetting with my wider lenses. From a composition perspective, I would have moved the "post" in just a bit more from the right to the right "thirds" position, or leave it out all together. HTH.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

ClickASnap