Sunset shower over the Gulf of Mexico...(Feed back appreciated)...

David A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As the title says...

I have a few more if anyone is interested in seeing them.

beachsetcopymr8.jpg

I think it would have been better had it not been split in half.

Potentially a really good shot there, but you might want to have a read on the Rule of Thirds. That was just a quick link for your use, but find other stuff by googling. Makes a world of difference in landscape photography.

I don't mind splitting the horizon in certain situations as to show symmentry in reflections and such. But typically that type of composition is a bit boring.

I agree about the split, try editing it to follow the rule of thirds.
I also wanted to see it in color! By calling it a sunset, I was all set to see vibrant colors. This looks more like storm rolling in.

I like rule breaking. Esp. in a case like this where you have something to show in the foreground that needs all it's parts. If you try covering the bottom some to make a faux-thirds-rule photo, it's just not right. I think there can be creative ways around this....maybe you can do a negative of the same shot and put them together side by side... maybe use PS to color 2/3 of the picture to help give in to some of the ROT idea. Maybe crop at an angle to change the feel entirely.

I can see where the others are making accurate statements, but I think you could save this one with a little creative work on it.

Now, being really picky aside, most people would say that was a really cool picture. Including me.

I also like to break the rules especially the rule of thirds sometimes when it's justified. For this picture it's not justified IMHO.

I would have shown half of the sky it shows now as there is really not that much interest.

And yes... I want to see it colour!

awesome pic! I really like the contrast.

the only thing i would do is crop some of the sky. Other than that, I like it. This, in my opinion, is one of the times that the thirds rule goes out the window.

Derrick

I agree about the split, try editing it to follow the rule of thirds.
I also wanted to see it in color! By calling it a sunset, I was all set to see vibrant colors. This looks more like storm rolling in.
This is the Black and White forum-LOL
I agree with the thirds rule here. Not so much boring but not quite right either.
JS

Personally I think lowering your vantage point until the piers broke across the horizon would have vastly improved the image. The viewer's eye would have a way to traverse the entire image instead of being arrested by the strong horizon line.

Also I would like to see a little more light on the piers and foreground. Also the scale of contrast feels rather narrow here, in your b&w conversion did you try fiddling with the channel mixer to help widen things?

I agree this shot deserves some colour, but personally I think it's a well chosen moment to break the rules. Those posts really add to the image, I just wish I could see the true colour of that sky.

I think black and white suits is well. Probably better than color.

I also think you should forget about the rule of thirds. And to most of the above with ROT tunnel vision, I really don't see why you think there needs to be a compositional correction.

What it does need, however, is more work in post...i.e. a better black and white conversion. It's sorely lacking in tone range, particularly the lack of mid-tone separation.

Most reactions

Back