Sunset Silhouette

Nostregar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really like this one (took it this past Saturday night) but something feels off about it. Thoughts?

img4010resize.jpg

I like itas well, but I can see what you mean about something being no quite right. Unfortunatley, I cant figure out what it is either.

Maybe something with the reflection of the arms? Is the person standing in the water? Maybe a tighter crop would help?

Im interested to see what other people have to say!

Maybe crop out the blackness in the bottom (the bottom 1/6th of the image). Also the silhouette is a little fuzzy on the top right side. All in all very good shot.

I think the application of the rule of thirds would help because it is a great picture. a bit off the bottom and the left side would help.....I think. i would love to see it again if you do anything else with it

Um... It might be the proportions of the female... It's just what my eyes see.

I like the blackness on the bottom. The water reaching the other shore seems to be at a odd angle.

I *personally* think the woman is a bit too deep - I think if you saw more of her legs it would give you a different feel. You're probably thinking, what is this guy smoking, but if you get the chance again try what I said and I think it may work a bit better.

I think if you put the woman back 3 feet and took the shot from a slightly lower angle the way she & and the picture look would change drastically - if anyone sees what I'm saying.

An angle from the shoreline would look even better IMO.

Conclusion for me would be to move the woman back & move back yourself. If you got the shoreline in the picture I think it would feel right. A nice shot though!

I agree with five pennies. The rule of thirds would apply very well to this. I actually did an edit if you wanted to see. Preference wise I think I would've loved to see more reflection of her in the water by upping the exposure a bit.

Photo28 makes a great point about the perspective. A lower point of attack would definitely change the shot.

The first thing that jumped out at me though was that the horizon line of trees was ion sharper focus then the woman which I would presume the woman is the actual subject. With the reversed focal point though my eye goes first to the one little clump of trees along the mid right side of the horizon and follows the tree line down. It is not until my eye has swept the horizon in both directions that the eye even drops and notices the woman.

I like it. If anything, a little to red for my taste.

I *personally* think the woman is a bit too deep - I think if you saw more of her legs it would give you a different feel. You're probably thinking, what is this guy smoking, but if you get the chance again try what I said and I think it may work a bit better.

I think if you put the woman back 3 feet and took the shot from a slightly lower angle the way she & and the picture look would change drastically - if anyone sees what I'm saying.

An angle from the shoreline would look even better IMO.

Conclusion for me would be to move the woman back & move back yourself. If you got the shoreline in the picture I think it would feel right. A nice shot though!

That's what my eyes see also... Her scale messes the flow of the image.

Awesome pic! How do you take a picture like this? How do you make her silhouette look black? I've always loved this kind of picture, but I don't know how to take one like this.

Awesome pic! How do you take a picture like this? How do you make her silhouette look black? I've always loved this kind of picture, but I don't know how to take one like this.

Spot meter and expose for the highlights in the sky and the foreground will be underexposed creating the silhouette. You may have to dial in a stop or so of negative exposure compensation as well if the dynamic range is not wide enough. The other thing is when using the cameras internal meter to meter the skyline if you have your shutter button set to lock exposure and focus you need to take the meter reading and then input the settings and shoot in manual if you want to auto focus on the woman. Or you can switch to manual focus and then meter and recompose. Or change your button configuration to only lock exposure.

colors look flat and picture looks soft. maybe that the problem?

composition wise, well, could have been improved.

the woman is looking good at the centre (breaking rule)...only my eyes come out from the below deep dark, which can be reduced.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back