Super slow tethering.

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to set up tethering but for some reason it is unusably slow :( I've tried Capture one Pro, lightroom 5, and digicamcontrol and for a single RAW it takes around 6-10 seconds. Lightroom and digicamcontrol were a little faster when I took small jpegs but digicam was actually the same as the raw.

I am using a nikon d600, windows 8 with a usb 2. I know my hardware is not great but is there anything I can do in the software to speed it up a bit without upgrading?

You'll likely discover that you will only be able to speed the process up by upgrading your hardware.
You would want a dual processor but a quad would be better, 8 or more GB of RAM, and a graphics/video card in your computer that is OpenGL capable.

Note the Photoshop and Lightroom minimum system requirements and their recommended system requirements.
When upgrading your hardware be sure to exceed the minimums by a healthy margin.

I think the USB 2 cable is probably the weakest link...plus, the files the camera creates are fairly large. I do not think the computer's RAM or processor or graphics card have anything really significant to do with the issue of the six to 10-second delay in transferring the images...you're trying to fill a barrel with a drinking straw (USB 2).

Well my first idea is if there is a way to tether a small jpeg to the computer and save the raws to the SD card. I'd be amazed if there wasn't a way to do this but I've been searching for ages and can't seem to find any method of doing so...

On a second note, it doesn't take me 10 seconds to download a single raw from my SD card and open it so I don't see why it would to do so on tether :/

I'm curious if the tethering is reading the image from the SD card. ie, the camera saves to the SD card, then the tethering reads it from the SD card. Could be why there's a large delay versus just reading a SD card in the computer.

I'm curious if the tethering is reading the image from the SD card. ie, the camera saves to the SD card, then the tethering reads it from the SD card. Could be why there's a large delay versus just reading a SD card in the computer.

As I know it is writing directly to the PC as no files are on the SD card after a session, am pretty sure it would tether even if there was no card in the slot also.

It just baffles me how with all the tech involved in cameras these days we still cant have a decent tether system...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back