Super Telephoto for Z6

stapo49

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am interested in purchasing a super telephoto lens for birds/wildlife for my Z6. I have done some research and the options I have come up with are the Nikon 200-500 f5.6 ED VR, Tamron f5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 and the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS Contemporary Lens. I have read comparison reviews but was wondering if forum members have used any of these lens and can comment? I will be using the FTZ adapter.

I'm a Canon user so can't comment on the Nikon side of things. I have the Sigma 150-600 C and find it great bang for buck. It performs very well. It's not quite up there with the 500 f/4L but in the right light it's a damn good lens.

I had a Tamron 150-600 G1 for a while. It was just too big and heavy for me. I sold it and got a AF-S 300mm f/4 (non vr) and a TC.1.4 making 420mm f/5.6. I find this combination much better.

One advantage of the Nikon is better AF and lens distortion/vignetting correction in camera for the lens.

Don't you wish you could afford the 120-400 f4 w/ built in teleconverter for wildlife? :)

Last edited:
I had a Tamron 150-600 G1 for a while. It was just too big and heavy for me. I sold it and got a AF-S 300mm f/4 (non vr) and a TC.1.4 making 420mm f/5.6. I find this combination much better.

Thanks for the response. I am not sure how well a TC with a FTZ adapter would work? The other option is to wait for the Nikon Z mount 200-600 that is out hopefully this year.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

One advantage of the Nikon is better AF and lens distortion/vignetting correction in camera for the lens.

Don't you wish you could afford the 120-400 f4 w/ built in teleconverter for wildlife? :)

Better AF sounds the go. How much is the 120-400 f4 in the states?

This is not an optical comment, but an operational one.
The zoom ring on the Sigma zooms turn in the OPPOSITE direction than Nikon.
The zoom ring on the Tamron zooms turn in the same direction as Nikon.
That drove me NUTS when I shot basketball with a Sigma zoom, I kept turning the zoom ring the wrong way, and missing shots :mad: After about 15 minutes of that, I was so frustrated, that I put the Sigma away, never to use it again.
So, if you zoom by muscle memory, this could be an issue for you. It is for me when I shoot sports, and have to zoom quickly.
For casual stuff, if I turn the zoom ring the wrong way, so what, I just turn it the other way. Time is not critical.

Last edited:

Crazy expensive $12k USD

Crazy expensive $12k USD
I had a quick look at a local camera stores website, $19500 here in Australia. I would either have to win lotto or sell a kidney lol

Most reactions

Back