Superzoom, slayer of the SLR?

I dont know enough about the history and progress of photography to answer this, but all I'll say is: I have a superzoom (12x) camera. I got it as a bridge camera to myfirst DSLR almost 2 years ago. In the beginning, I found it great for what I was using it for. Fully manual, long exposure options. I had alot of fun with it. Then I needed more, long before I thought I would. Higher F stops, better low light perfomance. Then I borrowed a DSLR a few months ago for the first time. Im not sure I have taken a serious photo with the point and shoot since. There are alot of areas (reduced noise, better image quality at full zoom just as starters) that would need massive inprovements, but at what cost??? By the time these are corrected, what price range would we be at?? Likely around the same as an entry level DSLR and there is not much difference now. Most people out there that have compact cameras need nothing more than to be able to capture a childs bday or of a holiday.

Hey, they said film cameras would last forever and Kodachrome 64 is apparently being phased out shortly so the demise of film cameras is coming. Marketing is the major determining factor in determining change in camera technology.

Different thing. Yes automobiles replaced horses as a means of transportation but Shetlands never replaced Clydesdales and family cars never replaced sports cars. See?

A small superzoom camera with still and video capability along with the quality of a Nikon D90 and a 35mm lens equivalent of 28mm to 450 mm. at f. 2.8 to 3.5 would certainly sell, if the price was also right. The only question is how far away are we from this being technologically possible.

skieur

How far away? We passed that ability 7 or 8 years back - just in mass-produced consumer level goods.

Unless there are interchangeable lenses it won't happen in the foreseeable future.

You so rarely see one thing utterly replace another.

Think of...

- digital will replace film
- microwaves will replace ovens
- computers will replace paper
- tv will replace radio

You certainly see cases where it happens, but not often... CDs have NEARLY replaced cassette tapes, for example. (nearly... not entirely)

That being said... 18-432?! LOL That's bonkers.

Yup, and you're still talking on the car vrs. horse level and not the sports car vrs. family car.

I have a superzoom (12x) camera.

I had alot of fun with it.

Then I needed more, long before I thought I would.

Exactly. :D

Most reactions

Back