Surfer C&C welcome :)

Mbnmac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot RAW, not cropped (happy accident maybe?)
Got quite a lot of photos and this one struck me, really like the action and the feel.
Shot with the 55-200 4-5.6 at 200mm and F4, ISO 200 shutter 1/1600

Not 100% on the edit, overdoing the contrast made it too dark to see details, and upping saturation too much made him red and look unreal.

Fell free to browse any other of my photos on flickr also :)

-Martin

DSC_0222 by mbnmac, on Flickr

Very nice. I wondered the same thing. Where were you to capture that angle???

Danny

Yeah I was on the pier at New Brighton, and it has a really nicer breaker just under it so prime spot for surfing photos.

I think that's my only real gripe with the shot, was my timing, although most of the guys out this morning didn't seem to be abel to get much of a wave before dropping off either.

Getting those kinds of shots is my aim, and I've got some surfing buddies who would love to give me the opportunity to do so.

I think that's my only real gripe with the shot, was my timing, although most of the guys out this morning didn't seem to be abel to get much of a wave before dropping off either.

Getting those kinds of shots is my aim, and I've got some surfing buddies who would love to give me the opportunity to do so.

I just wish i could shoot it more often, i used to live in Cornwall in the 70s-80s and surfered most days, the only time i get to shoot it now is when i'm asked or i visit my Mum

It's a cool shot. It doesn't show the peak action as such but it does show a lot of action and I like the elevated angle. Just curious about your settings that you say you used - that lens will only open as far as f/5.6 at 200mm, not f/4 as you stated.

PS Ex Christchurch resident here!

no, you're right, it was at 105mm, my bad

I don't think the fact that you missed the peak is that big a deal in this case. The cut in the wave trailing the board and the angle of the surfer adds drama and motion to the pic.

I'd play with the crop to emphasize those two elements, pulling in tight on them.

Most reactions

Back