Surprised...

Steve5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I went to the San Diego County Fair last night, and checked out the photography exhibit.

Some of the photos with ribbons next to them were very, very good. Some looked like they were shot by children who'd had way too much coffee and sugar.

That wasn't the surprising part, though. If anything, it just compels me to want to enter next year.

No, what was surprising is that they had a "Mobile Phone" category. I was shocked. I don't know if they've had it before (I haven't been to the fair in ten years), but cell phones? An entire category?

Anyone else see anything like this at your local fair?

I routinely enter in three local fairs (and do reasonably well if I do say so myself), but sometimes the judging really makes me shake my head; not because I didn't win/place in a particular category, but simply because I am unable to see any sort of artistic quality in a particular image. I've not yet seen a cell phone category, but it wouldn't suprise me. It's a growing technology, and many cell phones have cameras which are as a capable as some higher-end P&S cameras.

My local astronomy club is having an astrophotography contest this year and they have a cell phone catagory. And my local brick and mortar store has photo contests running all this summer, with one whole contest specifically for cell phone images.

the only reason I can understand having a cell phone specific catagory is so the cell phone entries aren't having to compete on the same level as higher end equipment, so they still have a chance to win something with other similar level entries...kindof gives incentive to learn, and practice taking better pics, even if it's only with the cell phone....

I have had some folks come in with their iphones and print pretty decent 8x10's. I hate it though, when they bring in a 20kb image from their phone and get made when it comes out pixelated at 8x10, even when we tell them it's going to and show them on the computer. *shrugs* people are people.

*edit*
I forgot, monday we had a dude print a nice ass 11x14 shot of a sailboat he took with his iphone4.

Idk, I mean- I think that a good photo is a good photo. I don't do that with my phone because I take my dslr everywhere I go pretty much lol

My phone doesn't have a camera. Bet you didn't see that comin'.

Lmfao hey, nothin wrong with that. well I have the 4s which does take good photos for a phone. I use it for quick pictures but I always get out my dslr for everything else.

yeah, I've got nothing against phone photography, it is the world we live in....a good image is a good image regardless of the equipment used....but I think its a good thing that contests are having a separate catagory for them...it just levels the playing field a little, rather than judging images from a phone and a Hasselblad or Phase one side by side, the higher end stuff will have a strong edge in the competition regardless of skill level of the photographer (generally speaking that is).

Hmm. I think its safe to say that Leibovitz was not having her brightest day ever.

I dont want an iPhone because of the working conditions of the chinese workers who produce them.

Other than that, I already have an iPhone-like camera anyway. Meaning a pure point and shoot with which I cant do much except really point and shoot. Thats all my old Panasonic manages. I cant even correct a wrong exposure. Other than auto, I have some scene programs and a macro mode. And I can make a video. No clue about what the iPhone can manage.

I have had some folks come in with their iphones and print pretty decent 8x10's. I hate it though, when they bring in a 20kb image from their phone and get made when it comes out pixelated at 8x10, even when we tell them it's going to and show them on the computer. *shrugs* people are people.

*edit*
I forgot, monday we had a dude print a nice ass 11x14 shot of a sailboat he took with his iphone4.

About a month back I was at a FedEx/Kinkos store to mail a package at the shipping counter, but there was an employee talking to a customer over at the printing counter... apparently she wanted a HUGE poster-sized print of something she had taken either with a phone or possibly a point & shoot at low resolution. He was trying to explain to her that it would look horrible in a large size because the original photo just didn't have enough resolution.

I think printing stores could save themselves a lot of headaches and arguments with customers who are upset with the results if they printed an example low-res photo in various sizes so that customers could see that the image quality starts to fall apart as the printing size gets larger and larger. Just because it looks sharp enough to post to Facebook doesn't mean it'll look good as a 20x30" framed print.

The Los Angeles Center for Digital Arts is having and Instagram only exhibit in a few weeks.

:-/

Our local area Fair doesn't have a cell phone category. Not yet anyway. However, a fairly large local non-profit recently held a "Phone-o-graphy" contest, where only cell phone photos were eligible to enter. I guess it's a way of reaching the "if you can't use a cell phone for it, it's not worth doing" generation.

I thought you were going to say you were surprised by the San Diego Firework show last night (singular "firework" intentional). :lol:
I hear that went out with quite a bang! Fastest firework show in history!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back