Survey for Photographers

RentalInfo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
prophotorental.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. Based on all the forum category descriptions, this seems like the right place for this post. However, if anyone has any issues, please let me know and I will move or delete it. I'm not trying to sell anything or spam anyone.

I am conducting research on the habits of photographers. Specifically, I am trying to find out more about the equipment renting habits of photographers (both professional and "enthusiast").

If you have the time, would you please take the survey posted here?

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=310313756630

It should take you between 5-10 minutes at the most. I really appreciate your help.

In the interest of trust, I'm posting my personal e-mail here so you can ask me questions or verify that this is legitimate.

kohlmannj [at] yahoo [dot] com

Thanks so much, and please post a reply here or write to the above e-mail address if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Jared Kohlmann

Moderators: I've read the terms of use and didn't find anything that would preclude a post like this. However, if you feel it is inappropriate, I will remove it without hesitation. Thank you!

RentalInfo: a very respectful and mindful post. with that said, i'm actually inclined to do the survey. just opened it in a new tab...

Done. Im curious, what is the going rate for a rental of a lens? I would most certainly be interested in a try before you buy type deal, but I wouldn't want to spend too much money because I might as well buy the lens and return it if I dont like it in that case.

Can you hint at an average price for a week, or even weekend rental of some decent glass?

The funny thing is, rental prices are all over the map. (figuratively and literally)

It also really depends on how you qualify "decent glass".

But to give you an idea, the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L is going anywhere from ~$40 to ~$65 per week at the online stores I've checked. Most local camera stores (in my experience) are between 150% and 200% of that.

Thank you for your questions, and a big THANK YOU to everyone who has taken the survey. I genuinely appreciate it!

Best regards,
Jared

I am firmly ensconced in the "fact/demographic gathering and critical to customer quality" phase. :D

That's the only reason I felt comfortable posting the survey. If I had an online presence set up, I think that would cross the line between "research" and "advertising". In my book, that would be a big no-no.

Believe me, with the capital expenditure this kind of venture would take, someone would be foolish to start up without knowing if there's a need or not.

Thanks again for the great questions. It allows me to clear the air (as it were).

Best regards,
Jared

Believe me, with the capital expenditure this kind of venture would take, someone would be foolish to start up without knowing if there's a need or not.

this i know very well. very. and you know very well that you are doing the correct thing in gathering market data.

Just how many sites are you "surveying" ? Perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way, but, online renting?

Just how many sites are you "surveying" ? Perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way, but, online renting?
I'm not sure I understand you exactly, but I'll try to answer as best I can.

I posted the survey link on about 8 different photography forums so that I could get the broadest exposure (no pun intended) to photographers. However, I understood that there would be overlap between users of different forums. In the interest of time (and my typing muscles) I used copy/paste for the original post. I knew this could cause some people to think I was just a web-bot, but I figured that putting my e-mail address in there would help mitigate that.

This idea isn't unique, based on the fact that there are now 4 (by my count) places online that are doing a very similar service. They've been around for a while now (and one of them is expanding), so I know there is a market. What I'm trying to discover is how big that market might be, and what *exactly* that market wants.

I hope that answers your questions.

Thank you again to everyone who has responded!

Best regards,
Jared

Have you considered an option where we rent the lens, and if we decide we like it we can pay you for the rest of the cost, provided it were comparable to other online stores such as B&H and Adorama?

If you were to do this I can assure you I wouldn't buy from other stores again. It would be very nice to spend 50 dollars to rent a 500 dollar lens, and if I like it I can pay you the rest of the 450 dollars. If I dont I'm only out 50 bucks. That truly beats, and would therefore completely sway my decision, renting the lens for 50, having to send it back, and then having to pay B&H another 500 dollars for the lens. If I buy from you I could save another 450 dollars, and you could use that money to replenish your inventory.

Just a thought, I'm not sure if other rental sites do this, but if they don't it would really throw you ahead in the competiton IMO.

Have you considered an option where we rent the lens, and if we decide we like it we can pay you for the rest of the cost, provided it were comparable to other online stores such as B&H and Adorama?

If you were to do this I can assure you I wouldn't buy from other stores again. It would be very nice to spend 50 dollars to rent a 500 dollar lens, and if I like it I can pay you the rest of the 450 dollars. If I dont I'm only out 50 bucks. That truly beats, and would therefore completely sway my decision, renting the lens for 50, having to send it back, and then having to pay B&H another 500 dollars for the lens. If I buy from you I could save another 450 dollars, and you could use that money to replenish your inventory.

Just a thought, I'm not sure if other rental sites do this, but if they don't it would really throw you ahead in the competiton IMO.

i actually thoguht most places did that although i'll admit i didn't research it at all.
It would be a big draw for me too :)

To both of you.... Duly noted. :D

I actually had thought of this idea, but it all depends on who is renting the equipment. For those only renting for a trip or a special occasion, this probably isn't the way to go. However, the most popular response to the "how would you use this" question has been "Try before you buy".

If that trend continues, then clearly there is a need....

Thanks again for the comments. You guys are a big help!

--Jared

I just wanted to bump this, and add that I hope you will keep this updated as you decide which direction to take for your company. As mentioned, a try before you buy with the option of purchasing the very lens you are renting is a very nice incentive to use you guys, especially if the prices are a little under going rate (due to being used).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back