What's new

Survivor's Guilt (part II)

Ah...that would require that I both shave and get a haircut...something I have not done in over three weeks

Me either. And I have a job interview in a week! :lmao:

That aside, I think that your pictures, esp. the second one, are very good. That said, do you think they would hold up on their own without you telling the story behind them? I mean, if they were hung up in a gallery without a narrative, would the viewers understand what you are saying? Maybe that's not the point. I'm no art critic; the closest thing that I've ever come to that was a philosophy course in aesthics when i was in college. I got a "C." :lol:
 
That said, do you think they would hold up on their own without you telling the story behind them? I mean, if they were hung up in a gallery without a narrative, would the viewers understand what you are saying?

We shall soon find out.

I've submitted them to two different shows. One for the Kalamazoo Institute for the Arts, and the Battle Creek Arts and Industry Council, both sans artist statements.

I also submitted them to our college's art publication, the "Mosaic." One of them was rejected, but one ("Orphan") was accepted for publication.
 
Wow, you really know how to capture emotion in a photograph don't you, can't decide if i like orphan more than your original survivors Guilt as both are great images, the first one (of this series) doesn't do quite as much for me as the other two images do, not sure why though.
Luke
 
Thanks, I appreciate the compliments.

That is the first time anyone has preferred the fist shot with the white sheet...or at least the first time anyone has told me so.

I felt that the first one was too "spoon fed." The image of me with a gun to my head was too shocking. While I do want the viewer to feel shock, I did not shoot this for shock value. I thought that the second one where the M9 is on the table with my hand on it was more subtle, and required the view to spend more time looking at the photo and reading into it.

Everything in the composition for the reshoot was intentional, right down to the objects seen in the reflection of the mirror (that you can't really see in these scanned prints).
 
I got the jury results card in the mail today from the West Michigan Area Show (Kalamazoo Institute of Arts).

"Survivor's Guilt" was rejected while "Orphan" was accepted.

Same thing happened with the Mosaic. Still waiting to hear from the Art and Industry Council.
 
I got a phone call from the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts yesterday afternoon...

I was being notified that the photo that was accepted into the show was also selected for a prize. Yay! I don't know how much, but the first place prize is $1000, and the lowest prize is $200. I was just tickled that I got in, and nearly losing my military bearing knowing that I actually won something.

Now I have to put on a monkey suit and attend the opening reception.
 
OK I have seen both of your posts, I am split between two thoughts. Logic and emotion, I will never, never understand how you feel and what you went through. My father was a US Marine in Vietnam, you wana talk about guilt. He lived every day of his life a Marine, he never fogot. I know he died a Marine in 2003. He had only spent 2 years in the service but in some respcts he had never left. You could tell, there was no way for him to hide it. He was a great father, huband and man. He raised us kids to be men not boys. I rember one time that life got so hard for him that he had to break down and reset his self, that is the best way I can describ it. So when I think of him and see your photo I can almost see him sitting there.

I became a Firefighter right out of high school, I didn't work as one till much later in life. Over the past 5 years I have seen more death and pain than most people will see in a life time. I have seen blood, guts, crunched up cars, burnt out houses, stabbings, shootings, suicides and much much more. I can not see myself in your picture. I say all this to let you know I am no virgin to painfull thoughts.

But again, I was never a soldier either.

Picture #1 to me is all wrong. I have never seen a setup like that on a suicide. I think you would find someone like this in a corner with the uniform across the lap picture in hand head in the other, gun on uniform. To me that would be more real. That is just my opinion!!

#2 Dead nuts on in my opinion, I like it. The comp, the scrarches, to me it just seems right.

I think I have had my Butt in deep like once, where I was actually starting to worry. I will never know your feelings but I will never take for granted your sacrifice.

Thank you for your service to our country from a small town Fire Fighter.
 
I would rather see this as a series, rather than the one shot, where the possible intentions are clear. I'd rather see a close up of a glass with some vodka in it, and a gun barrel sticking in from the left. Then maybe a tear from the eye, a close up of the picture, contrasted against your hand on the gun. Maybe even a closeup of the gun, to the head as your first 35mm was, but that is CLOSE and silhoutted against the background of the American flag. As if someone walked in, and took several picture of the scene, giving hints, rather than "Here's a suicidal guy whose been drinking with a gun in his hand". I do, however, like the anominity (spelling?) of the back of the head only.

I can never pretend to know your loss, but I agree with your feelings.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom