My B&W Portfolio for class ***not 56k approved***

john3eblover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.xanga.com
Well, my photography class is over. It was pretty cool i guess, i learned how to develope my own film and make prints in the darkroom. It was cool being able to physically handle all of that and having the trial and error of getting the exposure right and all of that, and finally getting a good print in your hands. But i'm ready to move on to a digital SLR. And i just got a job as photographer for next year at my school paper :-D so i'll get to use a Canon 10D for the whole year, and a bunch of lenses and stuff, so i'm excited about that.

Anyway, here are my prints for my portfolio. Please bear in mind that these were scanned on the worst scanner ever, and i have tried my best to clean them up, but they still have lines on them and stuff. Just look at the composition aspects.

Thanks to Meysha for helping me with the borders :wink:

taken in New York
3_FLAG_small.jpg

this one isn't nearly as dark on the actual 8x10. this was an assignment to use a fast shutter to freeze the water

7_rushing_water_small.jpg

this is a building in Atlanta, and i thought the side of it made a cool pattern

9_SUNTRUST_small_2.jpg

this is my friend Paul, and my girlfriend Katherine. I cropped this one when i made the print, thought it was kind of a cool shot since it was just a spur of the moment kind of picture

1_kat_and_paul_with_border.jpg

another building in Atlanta, shot at 28mm kinda makes it look extra tall i think (its the 19th tallest building in the world btw)

4_BoA_small.jpg

this was a depth of field exercise, so i used something like F3.5 to blurr the background significantly more. this one is also not quite as dark in person

2_ORANGES_small.jpg

this is...a train

6_TRAIN_small.jpg

and last but not least, a shot from the top of the Empire State Building, of Trump Tower and the Chrysler Building in midtown.

5_NYC.jpg

Sorry there were so many pictures, but i didnt want to only post a few of them. Let me know if you like them or not

john

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I like them all. And I am amazed at your travelling the whole country for these! New York. Atlanta. Oranges. Trains... ;)
Great. Wonderful portfolio. Nice different kinds of black and white photos. I wish photography was offered more often in schools in Germany. It's none of the usual "subjects". You may be lucky and find an arts teacher who also does some basics on photography with you, but that is all.

And you did a great job about those borders.
I wish I could put borders around my photos.

yay for you! this is an amazing series. Although I don't like b&w I think that it works great in your photos. I didn't find a shot that I don't like. All of them are really nice. I like your choice of dof and composition. You have developed your own style to the shots. And congrats on your photographer job. that's cool you'll be able to play with 10d!

Great series. I really love the shots of the buildings.

hah. that's where i come in ;)

that one of the building in atlanta is cool, it has a strange effect when you scroll up and down while looking at it. this is a nice portfolio! your borders are so freaking cool. the little worn edges/scanned slide look. did you get that just from the scan or is that the border you put in?

thebeginning said:
hah. that's where i come in ;)

that one of the building in atlanta is cool, it has a strange effect when you scroll up and down while looking at it. this is a nice portfolio! your borders are so freaking cool. the little worn edges/scanned slide look. did you get that just from the scan or is that the border you put in?

the straight line border part is from PS. The worn/slide look is from when i made the print in the darkroom. There is a certain way to make borders, it involves letting small amounts of light spill around the edges of the negative, its a huge pain to do, but when it works, it looks sweet. I like to have a border on pictures with white so the picture doesnt blend into the rest of the page :)

pretty cool stuff! i really like the b&w - well done!

i guess we'll be seeing lots more of you now since class is over. congrats on the job :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back