Switching from jpeg to raw, help please!

sarahburge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have decided to switch from jpeg to raw. I use a Canon 40d and process with CS4 and camera raw. When I save my image as a jpeg in camera raw and look at image size in PS it is only 16.2 x 10.8 @240 ppi. This seems pretty small to me?? Should I be changing something in workflow options or will that make a difference? I am just testing things out right now so I haven't actually seen what a print would look like. Maybe I'm just not understanding this whole raw thing completely?? I am soo used to jpegs :lol: Any help would be appreciated!

It's 16.2 inches by 10.8 inches at 240 ppi. That's 3,888 pixels by 2,592 pixels, or just over 10 megapixels.

Your big advantage with RAW is the flexibility you have while editing it. You can then convert the RAW file to a 16-bit colorspace .tif or something and still be able to edit it aggressively without obliterating detail and generating noise.

It's 16.2 inches by 10.8 inches at 240 ppi. That's 3,888 pixels by 2,592 pixels, or just over 10 megapixels.
Unless you crop after converting a RAW data file, the JPEG and the RAW are the same size. Just converting to JPEG will not change the pixel dimensions of the photo.

Changing the PPI won't change the pixel dimensions either but it will change how many pixels are in each inch (Pixels-Per-Inch) and that will change the size of a print.

So your photos resolution is 3,888 x 2,592 pixels.

At 100 ppi it will print at 38.88 inches x 25.92 inches. (3888 divided by 100 = 38.88 inches)

At 200 ppi the sides of the photo will be half as long 19.44 inches x 12.96 inches (3888 divided by 200 = 19.44 inches)

If you crop away any of the photo you reduce the number of pixels, or lower the resolution of the photo. Now it can't be printed as big at each of the same PPI settings.

So should I be changing the ppi when I convert to jpeg? Or will that distort my image somehow? It defaulted on 240 so that is what I left it at. I am trying to figure out how to get the control of raw but still be able to print a good size image. And a good looking image...haha!

PPI is totally irrelevant in digital terms. It only becomes important when printing, and in that case, 200-300 PPI is the ideal. Don't worry about changing it.

So should I be changing the ppi when I convert to jpeg? Or will that distort my image somehow? It defaulted on 240 so that is what I left it at. I am trying to figure out how to get the control of raw but still be able to print a good size image. And a good looking image...haha!
RAW is not a printable image file.

A RAW data files has to be converted before it can be printed. Most often it is converted to JPEG. Some commercials clients want it converted to TIFF.

When you open a JPEG in Camera RAW, if Camera RAW is set up that way the photo can be converted to a 16-bit color depth, several color spaces and whatever PPI you set Camera RAW to.

A the bottom of the Camera RAW work space it displays the settings. Click on that and you can change the settings.

ScreenShot100.png

I guess I should just stick to jpeg until I can upgrade to the 5d!

I don't understand why you want to wait until you can get the 5D.

The sooner you learn how to work with RAW files the better.

I've started dealing with RAW when I had my Nikon D70 (6 MP) and I don't see one reason to wait for another camera before working with RAW.

It has nothing to do with resolution but rather with more color and brightness information that you can use.

I'd recommend to start working in RAW sooner than later.

And forget about PPI and DPI. Just import the image from your camera and edit them to your liking. Only if you make large prints or a client asks for a certain DPI you have to change those settings. Your resolution always stays the same (unless you crop the image).

Throwing money at equipment isn't the answer, knowledge and understanding is.

With this statement you seem to indicate you expect the hardware to do it all for you, with little or no effort to acquiring the needed knowledge on your part.

That won't feature.

To go from JPEG to RAW you will have to acquire some other new skills.

When you shoot JPEG the camera does some editing of the photo before you ever see it. When you shoot RAW you have to do all of that editing, because the camera does none.

You will also need to become familiar with custom white balance, color spaces and color management if you hope to have nice prints made.

If you seriously want to shoot RAW, change the capture setting on your camera to RAW + JPEG Fine right now and don't look back, only forward.

Throwing money at equipment isn't the answer, knowledge and understanding is.

With this statement you seem to indicate you expect the hardware to do it all for you, with little or no effort to acquiring the needed knowledge on your part.

That won't feature.

To go from JPEG to RAW you will have to acquire some other new skills.

When you shoot JPEG the camera does some editing of the photo before you ever see it. When you shoot RAW you have to do all of that editing, because the camera does none.

You will also need to become familiar with custom white balance, color spaces and color management if you hope to have nice prints made.

If you seriously want to shoot RAW, change the capture setting on your camera to RAW + JPEG Fine right now and don't look back, only forward.
:thumbup:+1
Like the step a person takes from shooting in auto to manual.

Most reactions

Back