Switching to Nikon! What is a good full-frame and lens?

The rumors (whatever they're worth), suggest the 5D3 will have the same focusing system as the 1Dx... (w00t!)

Well if we consider recent history, I'd say rumours are worth a hell of a lot. The rumour was that the D800 was going to have a 36 megapixel sensor, and there were doubters (and rightfully so) right up until the last day. Nevertheless, the rumour proved accurate.

True, but Peter at [NR] is the $#!t. Cr at Canonrumors is..well...not so much reliable 100% of the time, like her darkside brethren.. :lol:

Mark

Not to go off topic but isn't the AF issues more of a lens issue then the 5D it's self? Or is it that the 7D is just that much better with the same lens? Are we talking low light photography or does the AF issue also crop up during normal lighting? Seems pretty drastic to jump ship from Canon to Nikon, not that its a bad decision, just interested. I might be getting a 5d (perhaps a used mk II when the prices drop with the mk iii release), so it's good info for me to keep in mind.

Not to go off topic but isn't the AF issues more of a lens issue then the 5D it's self? Or is it that the 7D is just that much better with the same lens? Are we talking low light photography or does the AF issue also crop up during normal lighting? Seems pretty drastic to jump ship from Canon to Nikon, not that its a bad decision, just interested. I might be getting a 5d (perhaps a used mk II when the prices drop with the mk iii release), so it's good info for me to keep in mind.

Me too actually. I've always wondered what the autofocus situation was for Canon. On Nikon it seems to me all the AF-S lenses focus quicker because they have focus motors on the lenses while the older AF lenses use the camera's inbody focus motor to effectively turn a screw on the lens that focuses (at least that's what it looks like on my 50mm AF-D). Do all Canons have inbody AF motors? It would seem likely since on a lot of lens reviews I hear "it focuses slow on the 5D2 but fast on the 7D".

nickzou said:
Me too actually. I've always wondered what the autofocus situation was for Canon. On Nikon it seems to me all the AF-S lenses focus quicker because they have focus motors on the lenses while the older AF lenses use the camera's inbody focus motor to effectively turn a screw on the lens that focuses (at least that's what it looks like on my 50mm AF-D). Do all Canons have inbody AF motors? It would seem likely since on a lot of lens reviews I hear "it focuses slow on the 5D2 but fast on the 7D".

I'm not sure but I don't think Canon has in body focus motors - I think all there lenses have the AF motor. I'm not 100%.....

I'm not sure but I don't think Canon has in body focus motors - I think all there lenses have the AF motor. I'm not 100%.....

Body/Lens... It doesn't matter, because all EF and EF-S Canon lenses (and 3rd party) autofocus on any Canon DSLR. :lol:

But for reference, the motor is in the lens. ;-)

The 5D2 has the same AF system as the original 5D. Masaya Maeda (Director and Chief Executive of Image Communication Products Operations) said in an interview "Firstly the market's evaluation of the 5D's AF system has been very positive; there have been no complaints from users, with everyone saying it's very good...." :) Get the Nikon D700 or D800!

Shoal said:
Also why are the Nikon lenses so cheap? Do they have L series lenses? What else do I need to know with this transition?

The Nikon lenses aren't cheap on the high end! I know several canon users who sacrifice auto focus to use Nikon pro glass with an adapter! (especially the 14-24 2.8 ) The Nikon lenses with a gold ring around the front of them are what canon users would classify as "L" glass.

What do you not like about the 5D2?

I don't want to start a Nikon/Canon war on here, lol. But basically said I am more than frustarted with the focusing. In a nutshell.

Do you know how to use it, because that is not a camera for a beginner since we are in the beginner section, a good tradesman never blames his tools because it sounds like you will have the same trouble with any camera

What type of photography do you do that the 5DMKII does not deliver the goods? Other than sports (low frame rate) it excels. And yes the AF is of the older design, but again other than sports it is not a problem. Very few people will tell you that the picture quality is anything other than outstanding. I picked up one about a month ago and the image quality is far better than my 50D, which gives a pretty darn good picture its self.

Nikon is a fine platform, but I can't see the greater cost of the gear. But, in the end you are the one that has to be happy with the camera in your hand.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back