T1i + Liveview + off-camera flash

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’ve used my 580EXII on camera – full ETTL functionality. Used it off-camera with a sync cable, also with ETTL functionality. Used it with Yuongo radio triggers, no problems as long as I’m not in Live-view. Triggered it with a PC-cable (via hotshoe adaptor), again no problems as long as I’m NOT in live-view.

Now, when IN live-view, ETTL and manual both work as long as I’m using the sync cable. However, if I replace the cable with the Yuongo radio trigger, and am in Liveview, the flash does not fire. Same if I use a PC cable hot-shoe adaptor. So it appears that in Live-view, the trigger to the flash is not being signalled by the center pin. Is this something that a firmware update will fix (I’m on 1.0.9) or it this a deliberate Canon design decision? Anyone know?

The shooting situation is that I'm doing macro, with the camera tethered to a PC where I can see the exact point of focus more clearly. I'm using radio triggers as I have several flashes to set off, and they are all shooting with various light modifiers in the light path. At present, to fire the flashes, I have to manually turn off the Live-view function (which can move the camera a bit, screwing up the focusing point), and then shoot. So it would be really nice if I find that I've missed something obvious, and it IS possible to set off the flashes without turning off the Liveview function.

Most reactions

Back