t1i vs. 40d

ToviTorio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just traded my t1i for a 40 body, Did I down grade? Or was that a fair trade? I don't need the hd video so you can count that part of the discussion out. HELP!

Determining if the trade was fair depneds on the condition of the 2 cameras.

The Rebel had only 1 command wheel, the 40D has 2. The 40D has a higher FPS rate than the Rebel. But the 40D's indicative price is about $150 less than the Rebel. Image sensor wise the 40D has 10 MP while the Rebel has 15 MP but the the image quality of the 2 cameras is virtually identical: DxOMark - Compare sensors

So I really didn't lose anything right? I mean photographer wise the 40d would be the best choice between these two.

Thanks!

As long as your happy with the trade what does it matter? I like some of the features of the 40 but a trade like that for me would be impractical. I like the fact that i can swap over to Video instead of having to carry my camcorder with me.

I went from a Rebel XTi with kit lenses to a 5D with L lenses.....trust me you upgraded.

The Rebel is a great camera for what it is, but even with the grip it's too small and the 10d on up has a fuller feeling in the hands, everything fits like a glove. You upgraded.

Plus I'm not sure what the shutter rating on the Rebel T1i is but I know the 40d is something like 100k or 150k exposures. My XTi was 50k and I blew through that in a year. Just finished replacing the shutter.

What matters most is the glass. You can have a Rebel XTi with L lenses and it will take a better picture than an EOS 5D with a kit lens. I'm actually writing up a comparison between the two soon to prove that good glass > good body.

T1i-500D, which is a more entry camera. I think you have upgrade your camera if its trade with a 40D.

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! I get my camera in the mail on Wednesday and I can't wait!

Most reactions

Back