Tackling controversial issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an idea.
Why not invite a recognized advocate for women's safety to comment on this kind of 'art.'

Even if you give credit...it's against forum rules to post photos that are not yours. Please change them to links, or remove them altogether.

I haven't followed this thread very closely, but I'd like to remind everyone to remain civil and refrain from getting argumentative, or it will have to be shut down. :D

The pictures you posted are MUCH tamer than what you proposed.

And I think... if you're trying to make a point with your pictures... sometimes less is more. (Consider the shower scene in Psycho vs. the same scene in a Friday the 13th type movie... personally I find the first much more powerful.)

My 2 cents.

The links listed below are images that were shot by Oleg Volk www.olegvolk.net

These links relate to what I am trying to do. These are a bit more light than what I intend, and I am not trying to emulate his style. These are a bit commercial to me, though...

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/d/5233-2/proportional6909.jpg

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/d/5299-2/deadbeaten.jpg

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/d/5131-2/trumped7562_001.gif

1. I don't find these posters informative

2. I don't find them artistic.

3. They are not a bit more light, they are tame comparitively to your intended photos.

Just as I thought though, it comes of looking like the posters in the health department, and less like art than anything I've seen in awhile.

Wow. I think your project can be successful.

I do, however, urge that you do it for the right reason... with a just purpose. If you have feelings about this, and have something to say about it, then it should be said... for your sake. How it's received will be out of your hands. I'm sure that you know that. I don't know if you "realize" it.

When I read "sheeple," and saw some one's follow-up "people ... need to have their minds disturbed," I began to wonder if the desired results might be to deliberately provoke a negative reaction.

I think you should make your images... for you. If you persuade some of your viewers to rethink the issue, great! If they still have views that differ from yours, oh well. Maybe the image didn't work. Or maybe they remain unconvinced. But try to guard against deciding how the should feel about it.

No matter what the reaction, you will have spoken you piece. That's a good thing.

Pete

Just as I thought though, it comes of looking like the posters in the health department, and less like art than anything I've seen in awhile.
Yes, they are. Oleg is a commercial photographer, and teaches graphic design.

The shots I intend will deal with this subject matter, but hopefully will come off a bit more artistic.
Say nay as much as you will, I'm still going to shoot this, and I will still post them. Rip them apart all you want, you won't hurt my feelings...much.

Yes, they are. Oleg is a commercial photographer, and teaches graphic design.

The shots I intend will deal with this subject matter, but hopefully will come off a bit more artistic.
Say nay as much as you will, I'm still going to shoot this, and I will still post them. Rip them apart all you want, you won't hurt my feelings...much.

I would not rip you apart for dabbling in this subject matter. In fact, it could be very thought provoking, I just think you're going about it the wrong way, and I think your intent is dead wrong.

Every time I see you create a thread it's about something SHOCKING and "DISTURBING". You're nude photos of yourself, the suicidal soldier, and now the Rape and Revenge.... I get the feeling you're addicted to being a hotbed of contraversy.

That being said... good luck in your endavours.

The nude photos of myself was so that I could experience the same thing my models did.
The "suicidal soldier" was also a self portrait. It was something personal, dealing with my own issues.

As for Rape and Revenge...well, I can't say you're wrong, because there is no wrong interpretation. There is only refusal to look deeper. These photos will be more about preparedness than anything else. And if revenge is what you get out of it, then I need to consider composition to ensure that is not the case.

Trust me. I've taken everything you have all had to say on this issue into consideration, and the project has evolved due to your input...but I'll keep it to myself until the photos are printed. :greenpbl:

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with pushing the boundries. I could sit back and shoot the same thing over and over, but that wouldn't be much of a challenge, now would it?

SHOCKING and "DISTURBING". You're nude photos of yourself,

It is not really charming to call someone's nude fotos shocking ;) If I was told that, I would instantly try to find the next large mirror with wrecked self-confidence regarding my body ;)

I expect several things to happen when I publish these photos...

1. Folks will be shocked.
2. Some folks will decry the message
3. Some folks will cheer the message
4. Some will miss the point
5. Good or bad, it will get folks to think

Simply discussing the photos has already done all five of these things.;) I can't wait to see them. Also, I was pleasantly surprised to come back and find this thread hadn't been locked.:lol:

Let me see if I can clarify.

You and you alone are responsible for your own safety. There are goblins in the world that will do you harm. You cannot count on anyone else to protect you. Those who would do you harm should b held accountable. But I would rather see the intended victim hold that person immediately accountable and see that person go home to their families that night rather than have a prosecuting attorney and jury hold that person accountable after a successful attack.

Thanks for the clarification. I see where you are going, but I also think we shouldn't have to live in fear. If our society was stricter on violent crimes there would be less of a problem, but instead we see rapists walking free with a couple months of jail time, and child molesters getting probation.

We need a little less tolerance for these sorts of crimes, no three strikes rule.

I agree with what the traveler has said, about contacting a clinic about this sort of thing. The way I am seeing it though, the people at v-day (http://www.vday.org/contents/vday) as well as most domestic abuse clinics will disagree with your proposal. Im sure they will love that you are trying to convey such a message, but fixing violence with more violence is not answer here.

Christie Photo said:
Wow. I think your project can be successful.

I do, however, urge that you do it for the right reason... with a just purpose. If you have feelings about this, and have something to say about it, then it should be said... for your sake. How it's received will be out of your hands. I'm sure that you know that. I don't know if you "realize" it.

When I read "sheeple," and saw some one's follow-up "people ... need to have their minds disturbed," I began to wonder if the desired results might be to deliberately provoke a negative reaction.

I think you should make your images... for you. If you persuade some of your viewers to rethink the issue, great! If they still have views that differ from yours, oh well. Maybe the image didn't work. Or maybe they remain unconvinced. But try to guard against deciding how the should feel about it.

No matter what the reaction, you will have spoken you piece. That's a good thing.

Pete

I agree with this 100%, make your photos with the idea in mind that no one will care. If you put it into that perspective and no longer want to make the picture, you may be doing it for the wrong reasons.

And as far as what RMTompson said, you do bring a lot of controversy to the site, and that isn't always a goodthing. I say this because when everything you do is "pushing the boundries" and edgy, the main message loses its effect because your photos are seens as conveying a thought so much as made to generate buzz.

i dont really understand the aim here. :(

you would like to raise awareness? That women can carry weapons to defend themselves? we aren't exactly living in dystopian caveman dog eat dog world.

if all women 'evolved' and started carrying weapons then surely you'd think the people who want to rape the women would 'evolve' too...
where would it end? everyone would be carrying guns. to protect yourself from other things too, robbery etc. hey if everyone has guns, it doesn't mean that everyone is safe. (although an inference from your display pic would suggest otherwise.)

there has to be a better way - and i dont think violence is ever the answer.

And to add to your list of 5 things you can expect, a 6th.

6/ people who will see your message for what it is and discard it from their minds without a second though.

maybe your aim is worth championing but your method may not.

i dont really understand the aim here. :(

you would like to raise awareness? That women can carry weapons to defend themselves? we aren't exactly living in dystopian caveman dog eat dog world.

if all women 'evolved' and started carrying weapons then surely you'd think the people who want to rape the women would 'evolve' too...
where would it end? everyone would be carrying guns. to protect yourself from other things too, robbery etc. hey if everyone has guns, it doesn't mean that everyone is safe. (although an inference from your display pic would suggest otherwise.)

there has to be a better way - and i dont think violence is ever the answer.

And to add to your list of 5 things you can expect, a 6th.

6/ people who will see your message for what it is and discard it from their minds without a second though.

maybe your aim is worth championing but your method may not.

You've said everything I've tried to say much more eloquently.

I was just about to suggest that the OP do his photos but use mannequins rather than living females. That would emphasize the objectification of females by predatory men and would avoid subjecting any female friend to the indignity of lying around with her skirts hiked up.

He, of course, could still be the male figure if he chose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back