Take two! field hockey photos

BBF is not a natural action, as a first time user. It really takes some time to adjust to BBF.

Which button did you assign it to?

No comments on camera setup or focusing modes, but this second batch has better background control, and a more close-up feel. The first day's shoot had a lot of background stuff that was distracting, whereas these in the second batch have less-distracting backdrops. I think the most-important aspect of field sports is positioning yourself so that the action you can frame up is in front of either a good background, or so that the light is attractive on the players, or so that the players are seen in front of a dark background. In most cases, the field and the prevailing light will make one side of the field, or one goal line, more productive as a shooting spot. In September, some days have absolutely gorgeous late-afternoon light.

No comments on camera setup or focusing modes, but this second batch has better background control, and a more close-up feel. The first day's shoot had a lot of background stuff that was distracting, whereas these in the second batch have less-distracting backdrops. I think the most-important aspect of field sports is positioning yourself so that the action you can frame up is in front of either a good background, or so that the light is attractive on the players, or so that the players are seen in front of a dark background. In most cases, the field and the prevailing light will make one side of the field, or one goal line, more productive as a shooting spot. In September, some days have absolutely gorgeous late-afternoon light.

Thanks for your comments. I made a point to frame these tighter thanks to some advice from Gary A. I agree that the backgrounds on these are better but can’t really take credit for that. It was an away game so a different field than the other game. This field was behind the opponent’s school with a line of trees across from the stands. Nice and quiet on a Saturday and no streets or parking were visible from the field. The team’s home field is on the outside corner of a very large park with parking lots in between all the fields. The chances of getting any photos without a busy background are pretty slim but I’m going to pay attention to that at the next game and see if I can come up with some better angles. Thanks again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back