Chicagophotoshop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chicagophotoshop.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd like to here from the pros about how to take the best night shoots

from what I have heard, the "shutter"? needs to stay open.

I use a NikonD100 and do not know how to do this, even after reading the manual.

In order to make an exposure...the lens Aperture and the Shutter Speed...are controlled.

The aperture is the hole in the lens, through which light travels (usually adjustable)...and the shutter is a curtain that opens for a specific amount of time.

Modern cameras have a light meter built-in...which tells the camera (in auto mode) what size of aperture to use and how long to keep the shutter open.

If it's dark (aka: at night)...then it will take longer for the camera to receive enough light for the exposure...which is where the long shutter speed comes in. If it's dark, the camera will automatically use a longer shutter speed. (provided that the camera doesn't decide to turn on the flash...check which mode is best to be in).

The problem with long shutter speeds, is that any movement will show as a blur...so if you are holding the camera...your hands will shake and the whole image will be blurry. The solution is to use a tripod and a remote (or self timer).

There is more to it...but lets just take it one step at a time.

In order to make an exposure...the lens Aperture and the Shutter Speed...are controlled.
:hail: @ Big Mike

If it's dark (aka: at night)...then it will take longer for the camera to receive enough light for the exposure...which is where the long shutter speed comes in. If it's dark, the camera will automatically use a longer shutter speed. (provided that the camera doesn't decide to turn on the flash...check which mode is best to be in).[/quote] is there a way to manually control the shutter speed?

The problem with long shutter speeds, is that any movement will show as a blur...so if you are holding the camera...your hands will shake and the whole image will be blurry. The solution is to use a tripod and a remote (or self timer).
tripod check. wouldnt leave home without it :D

There are several way to control the shutter & aperture of your camera.

A Mode...is aperture priority...which means that you set the aperture and the camera picks an appropriate shutter speed.

T (or S) Mode...is shutter speed priority...which means that you set the shutter speed and the camera picks the appropriate aperture.

M mode...is manual. You have to set both shutter and aperture...you can use the camera's meter as a guide.

P or Auto is where the camera sets both the shutter and aperture for you.

What I would do...is use A mode. If you want a longer shutter speed, then just use a smaller aperture (higher number). You could do it with T mode...but you might run into the limits of your aperture...the shutter speed is less limiting so using A mode is easier.

There is a third variable for exposure...and that is the ISO setting. Since you will be using a tripod, I suggest keeping the ISO at the lowest setting.

You may find that the settings recommended by the camera...don't look very good. You may have to experiment and use a different combination. To get a different exposure in A or T mode...you must use EC (exposure compensation)...or use manual mode and just change one of the settings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back