Taking photos in a hotel and Awards in a theatre

Mary

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,at the weekend i will be taking photos of an event where there is an opening ceramony and dinner night in a hotel, I was just wondering has anyone done something like this before and there advice on the best settings to use apperture, ISo .. I have a canon 20D camera and a 16-35mm L series lens, i do have a flash but dont really want to use it. I also will be taking photos of about 80 people getting awards within an hour so i need to be quick, i would really appreciate any advice on what settings to use and how to go about the whole event. Thanks

When you get there try and take some sample photos before hand to get a feel for it. Other than that I don't know what else to tell you.

It depends on the lights they will have up. They could have enough that would allow for an f/2.8 with a medium ISO (400? - not sure on your camera specs) so you don't use flash for the people receiving an award.

Then again, they might not have enough lights setup, which means you will have to use your flash or bump the ISO up even more. What you don't want are images that are too noisy.

So either flash, higher ISO (if your camera can handle higher cleanly) or look into a wider aperture lens such as a 50mm f/1.4.

As Noyze said, definatly get there early to check things out and try some settings.

Make sure you bring extra batteries for that flash, as it may get alot of use.

Thanks, i can go as far as 1600 ISo , I think the image quality at ISO 800 is very good, the flash i have is a canon 580 EX II i bought it but not really a fan of it. I would like to get the shots pretty good without it, but if i did have to use it would i be able to keep firing it for that many times on ETTL mode?

ETTL would be best, and look at bouncing your flash off a nearby wall or using a diffuser on top of your flash. Straight on can cast some shadows.

Also, watch the portrait / vertical shots where you are using the flash. If its still mounted, you'll have some weird side light shadow thing going on, hence why many wedding photographers use flash brackets or wireless triggers. :)

Just remember that a diffuser like a Stoffen Omnibounce won't make much difference unless there is a wall/ceiling to bounce it off.

Thanks, i have found out that they will be standing against a black curtain and i will be at the same level as them, the lighting is not great but there is overhead lights that may be turned on on the night, if i was to use ISO 800 and aperture 2.8 will the people all be in focus ok. there will be 3 people in the photo or 5-6 at most? in the theatre there is nothing to bounce the flash off of. would the pop up flash be ok to use? any advice would be grately appreciated.

Thanks, i have found out that they will be standing against a black curtain and i will be at the same level as them, the lighting is not great but there is overhead lights that may be turned on on the night, if i was to use ISO 800 and aperture 2.8 will the people all be in focus ok. It will depend on how much light the overheads put out. Honestly, there are to many variables to give more than general information. there will be 3 people in the photo or 5-6 at most? in the theatre there is nothing to bounce the flash off of. would the pop up flash be ok to use? The pop up flash will result in red-eye and very unflattering images. For events of this type a speedlight on a flash bracket is the norm. A pop up flash may not produce a wide enough beam to light 5 or 6 people. any advice would be grately appreciated.
If you have been contracted to do this shoot, have you secured written permission and gotten signed property releases from both the hotel and the theater to do a commercial job utilizing their venue?

A flash bracket

Thanks, if I use the flash and set it to ETTL and use an ISO 800 with an aperture F8, do ye think that the image will look alrite?

Thanks, i have found out that they will be standing against a black curtain and i will be at the same level as them, the lighting is not great but there is overhead lights that may be turned on on the night, if i was to use ISO 800 and aperture 2.8 will the people all be in focus ok. there will be 3 people in the photo or 5-6 at most? in the theatre there is nothing to bounce the flash off of. would the pop up flash be ok to use? any advice would be grately appreciated.

I would politely suggest that you should be familiar enough with your equipment that you understand what ISO and aperture you need with your flash unit.
That said, awards are dull and unimaginative events. Your task is to get a record shot. That means 'flash-bang'. Don't depend solely on existing light, you will get dark eyes, unflattering shadows, etc. Flash-bang, that's it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back