Taking pictures in shutter speed priority mode

I see you have canon. Canon has a very primitive auto ISO. The setting isn't very smart and will always tend to crank in too much. With canon it's recommended you set ISO yourself using any of the manual or semi auto modes.

I couldn't agree more.

belial said:
Incorrect. That's a misconception. You he full control in aperture an shutter priorities.

No, you don't have full control in the AUTO-exposure modes. In manual mode, your camera will not automatically expose to a certain parameter based on its metering. Shot to shot, having full control is technically using manual.

belial said:
Incorrect. That's a misconception. You he full control in aperture an shutter priorities.

No, you don't have full control in the AUTO-exposure modes. In manual mode, your camera will not automatically expose to a certain parameter based on its metering. Shot to shot, having full control is technically using manual.
What can't you change while in an auto-exposure mode?

Buckster said:

It depends on the mode. What I am saying is that with using an autoexposure mode, you will lose consistency due to the parameters of the shot metering. In manual, you control all of that.

By shooting full manual all the time all you're doing is slowing yourself down. There's absolutely no loss of control in shutter and aperture priority.
Incorrect, I lose no time at all using manual. I have a dial in the front and back of the camera for both settings along with one on the grip. As long as the lighting doesn't change, neither does my exposure so there is zero need to change anything. And in the case it does, one notch of the dial and I am back in. Try choosing a series of photos in an auto mode and see how consistent they are. Ive lost many images due to incorrect auto metering.

Buckster said:

It depends on the mode. What I am saying is that with using an autoexposure mode, you will lose consistency due to the parameters of the shot metering. In manual, you control all of that.
Still not quite understanding.

While in say, aperture priority, I can see and adjust both aperture and shutter speed independently, and I can see when the meter thinks that's a good combination, or when it's over or under exposing (which I may very well want to do). Same thing in shutter priority. Same thing in manual.

What am I missing?

At buck. For canon the rebel series have one dial and for Nikon it's the 3000 and 5000 series. For canon in manual the dial controls the shutter speed and if you hold the exposure compensation button the dial switches to aperture. And to answer your question I would use manual more with two dials because this isn't very convenient in situations where id be switching aperture frequently. When I don't think I'll be switching aperture often if ever I use manual

Buckster said:
Still not quite understanding.

While in say, aperture priority, I can see and adjust both aperture and shutter speed independently, and I can see when the meter thinks that's a good combination, or when it's over or under exposing (which I may very well want to do). Same thing in shutter priority. Same thing in manual.

What am I missing?

This is what I'm saying and my main contention. I don't see where you lose any control to priority modes. If someone shows me how I truly lose control I'll switch permanently

And keep in mind Tyler we aren't talking green box modes. Those you're indeed giving camera full control. The way I see it in the priority modes you're getting a little help from the camera but retaining full control

At buck. For canon the rebel series have one dial and for Nikon it's the 3000 and 5000 series. For canon in manual the dial controls the shutter speed and if you hold the exposure compensation button the dial switches to aperture. And to answer your question I would use manual more with two dials because this isn't very convenient in situations where id be switching aperture frequently. When I don't think I'll be switching aperture often if ever I use manual
Ahh, yes. I never owned the Rebel class, so not familiar with it. Understand now. Thanks.

And to clarify my own shooting preferences I use manual av and tv. I see each as a tool and use whatever I feel is most appropriate and efficient at the time and for difficult exposures or situations where it's best to keep the same settings throughout I always use manual.

xjoewhitex said:
Incorrect, I lose no time at all using manual. I have a dial in the front and back of the camera for both settings along with one on the grip. As long as the lighting doesn't change, neither does my exposure so there is zero need to change anything. And in the case it does, one notch of the dial and I am back in. Try choosing a series of photos in an auto mode and see how consistent they are. Ive lost many images due to incorrect auto metering.

Who said auto metering? You still have full control of the meter in priority modes.

Buckster said:
Ahh, yes. I never owned the Rebel class, so not familiar with it. Understand now. Thanks.

Admittedly it's not that bad. Shutter speed by nature changes the most so quote often it's no inconvenience. And when it is there is those priority buttons

xjoewhitex said:

Who said auto metering? You still have full control of the meter in priority modes.
If were not talking about manual, than we must be talking about auto am I right? And I never said you wouldn't have full control, I was simply saying its easier in manual because nothing changes no matter what you are pointing the camera at.

xjoewhitex said:

If were not talking about manual, than we must be talking about auto am I right? And I never said you wouldn't have full control, I was simply saying its easier in manual because nothing changes no matter what you are pointing the camera at.
That's a good point. If the camera moves, or anything in the frame moves that shifts the metering, the "auto" part will automatically shift to compensate, whereas in manual, you're locked in and it will ignore that change to give a consistent exposure value.

Think about doing panoramas. That would be a terrible time to try this out of manual, even though we, technically, do have the ability to dial in anything we want, we'd have to re-dial it in every time we shift to the next overlapping shot of the intended full scene.

Most reactions

Back